1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch and franticscribe like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Paris was great, I'll probably be watching all the stuff I missed on Peacock for the next few weeks. I do wonder what kind of world we'll be in four years.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

This is up there with the best Olympics ever. The events. The presentation. Paris set a high standard. I loved the Champions Park, I loved the new look on the track. The crowds at track and the for the basketball finals were just amazing.

And Peacock offering every single event and the amazing GoldZone broadcast...NBC deserves all the high rankings they got from this.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

Cheryl Reeve doesn't not have to worry about checking her mail for an invite to be on the 2028 staff. All that being said the officiating was even worse than I imagine. Missed calls everywhere and it was on both sides. France came out the gate wanting to make the game a Battle Royale and early the calls were fine, but eventually it just became Fight Night in Paris with no referee.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

I give Booker a lot of credit. He was one guy that came out the gate saying, "give me a role, any role and I'll do it" and he lived up to his word. He hit some shots in some games, he distributed the ball, set screens, dived for loose balls, played defense. He had a great attitude.

sgreenwell and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  6. HappyCurmudgeon

Yeah this feels like a case of STFU and take your gold medal, especially since Sydney and Gabby turned a 5-meter race into a 80-meter lead.

Plus, at the end of the day, USTAF is going to showcase their stars. If Gabby Thomas, the Harvard grad medical professional that won gold in the 200M and both relays, says she wants to run. She's running.

maumann likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And he started more often than not. Funny how that works.

sgreenwell and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This had me laughing.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Like ... wow.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

Stanford was responsible for damn near a third of the medals. Very impressive for that ACC school.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Who also didn’t even make the 400 finals (running a time in the semis slower that than Sydney’s 400 hurdles time).

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I do not like watching him in the NBA. The foul baiting, complaining, and chippiness are brutal and, when they're not working, detrimental to his game as he can become unhinged. All that said, he was incredible in these games.

He did everything well and embraced being an overqualified glue guy. I thought Ntilikina was trying to bait him into losing his mind like he would in league play and Book paid him no mind. I remember Barkley saying something to the effect of, "Everyone wants to win, but some guys want to be the reason that you win." It wasn't just lip service from Booker. He really did whatever was asked to help the team.

Kerr has played with and coached the greatest talents and team players in the history of the game, and his praise of Booker spoke volumes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted