1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I posted this earlier uptopic, but the tweet got pulled. Wonder if it's real? Still captures the spirit of the thing, much like the hometown announcer does on Friday night football when the team is getting waxed.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's not just for USA medals, but Games-wide.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2024
    HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh, that is real. I am not in France, but I have watched a lot of sports on TV there. That is one of the two basic styles they do. You don't get it much, but that was real.

If France had been expected to win, or if it was say a World Cup soccer game, the commentary would have been heavily critical of France rather than in awe of Curry. If there is a national sport there, it's criticizing things. "How can they let this little Curry Americaiiiiiiiiiiiiin shoot so easily? What are they doing? This is a travesty, an affront to our dignity as Frenchmen! The coach should be fired. Take that back, he should be tar and feathered and left in stocks in front of the Louvre for a period of no less than 12 days! Bring back the guillotine!"

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. Still pretty impressive.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Surprised to see Kentucky near the top of the collegiate medals table. Did they have a bunch of basketball alums?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The complaining runner did not receive a gold medal because she did not run in the prelims either.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Their track program has become quite good. I know Sydney McLaughlin Lavrone ran there. The 100m hurdler who won gold attended Kentucky as well. That's three golds off the bat.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bam Adebayo, Devin Booker and Anthony Davis are all UK guys.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. Still pretty damn impressive that they could be their own Olympic team and finish top 10 in the medal standings.

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Well that stinks, but she also didn't perform particularly well and if you're going to run Sydney in the relay, you damn well better win it. They put out the team to win it.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Give her her due -- she did run 49.46 to win the Olympic Trials. That said, I'll take Gabby over Ellis on that leg every day.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted