1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He's such a colossal doofus. As usual. The most-memorable-shot bit is absurd and just typical ESPN recency-bias garbage. And the "what if they lost!" is strawman crap too. Though I wonder if the US had lost, if ESPN's criticism would be somehow just a titch below other outlets because it's so in bed with the NBA and the players. They could rationalize it all day with how it's a world game now, France's home-court advantage, blah blah.

tldr: I'm ready for football season

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The most poignant moment I saw was after the women's 400m hurdles - Sydney McLaughlin-Lavrone was celebrating with 2 friends in the stands - and I mean celebrating! And why shouldn't they? One pulled out a tiara and placed it on her. The two seats next to her were Femke Bol's parents. And Femke Bol. She had her head in her mom's chest, and dad had the most forlorn look. It was quite a juxtaposition.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really hope the LA organizers saw Paris as a new template for the Olympics. Things like Champions Park for medal ceremonies, keeping the marathon route closed to traffic and letting the public run it and venues in historic locations were very cool - and I was just watching on TV. But as somebody who is planning on attending the 2028 Games, I also worry lack of public transportation is going to make it more difficult to enjoy the Olympics in LA.

franticscribe, MileHigh and maumann like this.
  4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It would just have been open season on Kerr. The media likes him, but he's not a player, so the hot-take guys and access merchants get nothing out of cozying up to him.

playthrough likes this.
  5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I’m cautiously optimistic my region won’t provide a traffic nightmare for visitors.

LA’s mayor says 2028 will be ‘no-car Games’ despite city’s notorious traffic

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Both were kind of stupid shots to take, too. IIRC, Durant went one on one with his guy for about 5 seconds, only to take a contested 20-footer. It's kind of a "good" shot because Durant is 7 feet tall, but with how talented Team USA is in pretty much any configuration, it's the kind of shot you never have to take.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Most if not all the sites will be accessible via the metro rail. In some cases, like Sofi, there is a 5 minute shuttle bus ride. The problem with the metro rail is the zombies who inhabit them. I assume there will be a strong police presence for the games.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The media here in Boston is going after Kerr despite the win, saying he disrespected Tatum by not playing him more. Embarrassing.

HappyCurmudgeon and sgreenwell like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And as if on cue, there was a 4.4 quake I LA yesterday.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

I'd differ only by saying that those are kind of stupid shots for anyone except those two. Tatum (and maybe LeBron) are the only other guys I could see taking the KD shot and the whole world would hear the clang before it left Tatum's hand. Curry is the only guy I could see taking it (including Ant-Man at his most hero ball), let alone making it.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. DanielSimpsonDay

Every Boston athlete is the greatest and bestest* and, having gotten that assertion right once in their lifetimes with Brady, the smahtest, most gnawledgeable fanbase in the fackin' world forever wades in a pool of mouth-breathing homerism.

*until they leave then a piece of fackin' gahbidge

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To be fair, Tatum gets a lot of fan/media abuse here during the NBA season because he's so streaky.

Draft saved Draft deleted