1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Florida Student-Run Paper Sends Ben Sasse Packing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Aug 13, 2024.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Patchen, HanSenSE, garrow and 3 others like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He would have gotten away with it if not for those meddling kids!

3. HappyCurmudgeon

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Great investigative reporting by a college student!

I'd say that will look pretty good on his next resume ...

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The response to this by Meatball Ron will be to try to make access to this type of information harder to discover, all in the name of “safety”.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What I'd like to know is whether all the toadies Sasse hired from his staff in Washington and paid outrageous sums, resulting in the tripling of the UF president's budget are still employed/getting the same money? Will the guy who got demoted for one of Sasse's underlings get his old job back?
    Aside from that, outstanding work by the Alligator. It's not the first time they've embarrassed the entire state press corps.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Great job by Garrett Shanley and the Alligator.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

Shanley wrote a short follow up of UF bringing back their old provost, who had just left to be the provost at the University of Arizona about a month ago. Not too much of a story, but the interim president was basically quoted as saying things are under a "major transition", which says something since Fuchs is in an interim role and even though he was the school president for 15 years, the board wouldn't just let an interim president make major wholesale changes. This will be different I imagine.

My guess is Fuchs stays long enough to wait DeSantis out and hopes the 2026 elections provide higher educsation some independence from the Governor's office.

2muchcoffeeman and maumann like this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent reporting. Just cold hard facts. My only gripe, journalism-wise, was that unless I missed it, I didn’t see anything in there about any attempts to contact Sasse for comment,

I’m sure Meatball Ron is all set to blame wokism for this.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

According to the Jacksonville Times-Union columnist, Sasse refused any attempt at an interview from the Alligator since he took the post.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/...pending-leaves-a-legacy-of-greed/74779535007/

"He seemed terrified of the The Alligator, the university's hard-charging student newspaper, with whom he refused to sit for an interview, and his general absence inspired posters plastered across campus asking, "Have you seen this man?,"

2muchcoffeeman, SixToe and matt_garth like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The president at my alma mater pretty much avoids the student paper too, though she claims to be all about the students. Funny how that works.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What a big puss.

I’m about ready to send a couple hundred to the Alligator staff for a few cases of Swamp Head Big Nose to celebrate.

Draft saved Draft deleted