1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

They might be atrocious to watch, but with that defense, it's nearly impossible to be an atrocious overall team. And they get credit for finally sacking Brian Ferentz.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Iowa is proof that people will vote for any damn body before they vote for a non-power school in the preseason.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

It turns out that Jim Harbaugh won't be at the season opener, but several 2023 team members and Harbaugh's parents will be the honorary captains. Cooler heads prevailed.

Gutter likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tennessee and Pilot truck stops signed a huge 20-year sponsorship agreement. Pilot's logo will be all over Neyland Stadium, including on the field itself. One report said it'll pump more than $20 million a year into Tennessee's NIL and stadium renovation funds. It's just too bad they couldn't find a business with Jefferson in the name to co-sponsor a deal that would've included every game starting at 11 a.m.

Tennessee Athletics and Pilot Announce Transformative Partnership to Preserve Neyland Stadium - University of Tennessee Athletics

One part confused me, though. Was there really any consideration to them getting rid of the Neyland Stadium name in favor of the highest bidder? If Lane Kiffin gets pelted with mustard bottles and golf balls for (among other things) crapping on Tennessee's traditions, what would they do to the guy who took General Neyland's name off the stadium and replaced it with an insurance company?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Still a big deal for the Vols. But these days, I cringe when I see that a school is spending millions on stadium renovations unless the place looks like Cleveland Stadium in the 1990s. They'll soon have hundreds of mouths to feed, and the salaries will never be enough.

wicked likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It stays Neyland Stadium, not Pilot Stadium. Whew!

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Danny White would never have gone for that.
    How long til the Browns’ stadium gets that name?

tapintoamerica likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine the AP poll is chock full of conflicts of interest.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

NIL comes to junior college football.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The years that I had votes in the AP basketball poll, I was either covering Northern Arizona or Liberty and the reasoning behind giving me a vote was that the state's sports bureau chief liked the idea of having someone on board who actually knew something about the smaller schools in the country.

Draft saved Draft deleted