1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All News format out, ESPN Radio takes over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Readallover, Aug 13, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Top 40 AM radio was dead by 1980, so that's a Boomer thing.
    Top 40 FM radio, MTV/NightTracks and Walkmans were right in the heart of Gen X.
    Millennials were probably the first to grasp MySpace, Neopets and Napster.

I love DXing (that's the offical term for picking up distant radio signals). It's awesome when the atmosphere allows signals to skip well past the intended pattern.

In Miami on clear nights, I could find the Orioles, White Sox, Indians, Braves and Reds. Out west, my buddy would get the Dodgers on KFI while we'd regularly pick up KOA, XTRA and KSL.

Working in Vacaville, I got a postcard from someone in Sasketchewan who picked up enough of our newscast to be able to tell me what they heard.

Listening to SiriusXM, I don't get that rush any more. However, I also don't have miles of dead space between radio stations driving cross-country, either.

garrow, Key, Batman and 6 others like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Used to catch KFI a lot. Bill Handel, who still does a taped lawyer show on weekends that airs out here on KOA. John and Ken. Phil Hendry. Tim Conway Jr.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2024
    Batman and maumann like this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

garrow, Hermes, TigerVols and 3 others like this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember listening to Cincinnati Stingers games there with Andy MacWilliams.
    If you listened to the WHA, you were/are two things: a hockey nut and ... old.

Typist Clerk and maumann like this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Letters like that were cool. Once got one from a guy in Finland LOL.

maumann likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When I grew up in Denver KOA had traffic reports but Denver was much smaller and traffic was not that bad. I had never been to a city bigger than Denver until 1981 when I went to San Francisco, I remember listening to either KCBS or KGO to the traffic report in morning drive. I thought the guy doing them sounded like a play by play announcer calling a fight because he was going through all the traffic jams so quickly.

MileHigh, maumann, Liut and 2 others like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

sig alert

IYKYK

Typist Clerk and MileHigh like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely
    I still remember the days of Moreland, Dernier and Dawson in the outfield.
    Cey/Law at 3……Dunston, Sandberg, Durham, Davis and Sut.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have never been a big fan of baseball on the radio but I really liked Milo Hanilton, who would do radio when Carey was on the television side.

maumann likes this.
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I could listen to Denny Matthews read the phone book.

I grew up in the intersection where we could get KMOX out of St. Louis (and were Cardinals fans, so that helped), plus WGN and WBBM out of Chicago.

My father made us listen to AM radio in the car constantly, first because that's all the car had, but primarily because he liked it. So I grew up listening to the Bruce Williams Show, and his advice/counsel to callers about any topic under the sun just captivated me. Found some of his old shows on YouTube, and I still love it.

garrow, FileNotFound and Liut like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I inherited my dad's old Panasonic short wave boom box as a kid and living in Pittsburgh, we could get:

• WWWE out of Cleveland (Herb Score and Tom Hamilton doing Indians games and Sportsline with Geoff Sindelar from 6-8)
    • WJR out of Detroit (Tigers with Ernie Harwell)
    • KMOX in St. Louis
    • WWL New Orleans
    • WCAU in Philadelphia
    • WFAN
    • WBZ Boston
    • WSB
    • WBT in Charlotte (Hornets basketball with Steve Martin and Gil McGregor)
    • WLUP in Chicago (Late nights with Harry and Spike)
    I've said this before on here but AM radio was the original world wide web for me as a kid.

garrow, Typist Clerk, Chef2 and 2 others like this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah. Talknet.
    Loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted