1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Which still represents considerable improvement.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In other Mariners news … Detroit absolutely lit up George Kirby tonight for 11 runs and 13 hits in three-plus innings. The Tigers seem to have Seattle’s number.

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That was going to be a tough matchup for Seattle, no matter what, against Skubal. And the Tigers probably won't score again this week.

Liut likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If Jhonkensy Noel has a big postseason, he will be the meme star of baseball for three weeks. He’s the size of an NFL linebacker and drops his bat like it might electrocute him after he hits a home run.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Was willing to give him a second, but yeah, he stinks. Can get to two strikes. Can't get strike three. I admire Elias trying to find something in a rotten market for starting pitching, but this is a whiff. I don't think Stowers or Norby will amount to much down the road, though, so not a big loss prospect wise.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I don’t know the name of the female that is doing the pxp for the A’s on tv, but that is truly awful.
    She’s a half step above “Boom goes the dynamite!”
    And that kid had a better voice.

Batman likes this.
  7. maumann

OUCH. Talk about hitting me in the feels. Mark Fidrych would have been 70 today. If you weren't around for The Bird in 1976, there are no words to describe it. Nothing before. Nothing since.

Detroit was lucky. My grandfather, who had seen the Tigers play since 1912, died a week before that season. I like to think he asked God to send him to us so we'd forget the horrors of 1975.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As likely as the annual Super Bowl week speculation of whether the NFL will ever expand to Toronto.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

10. maumann

Totally expected him to throw it back somewhere later in the clip.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Oh, man.
    A substitute mailman just yesterday saw me in a Tigers T-shirt and asked if I knew who Mark Fidrych was.
    Of course!
    Talked briefly about The Bird, Ron Leflore and the 1976 All-Star Game in Philly.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was 7 -- and mesmerized by The Bird.

maumann and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted