1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 college football offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jan 10, 2024.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bring back the SJ poll.

HanSenSE and I Should Coco like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Talk about conflicts of interest! :)

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I ain’t wrong. Ours was researched better.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Give or take a Ball State.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I did this several years for AP. One year, during basketball season, I was having trouble tracking down scores on Sunday because of so many late Saturday night games. I looked at my list of "teams to follow" and just shook my head. I discovered I was tracking 75 teams. I was tracking teams that weren't even going to be in the tournament. Stupid. I was making the task much harder, when I knew other voters didn't give half the shit I did (i.e. giving Colorado a football vote). I think I immediately chopped off the bottom 30 from my list.

The worst was the Sunday night when Hank Gathers died. I had the biggest story of my career dropped in my lap and I knew it, so I gave maximum effort. This was before cellphones. When I sent in my final story right at deadline, the desk told me that AP (John Nadel, Ken Peters, Beth Harris) had been calling and calling, asking for my Top 25 ballot. F**k it. That was at the bottom of my to-do list, but the country was waiting as March Madness was unfolding. I drove home from Loyola Marymount (I lived about 10 minutes away) and found a power outage on my block. I couldn't open the electric gate to get to my parking spot. I parked on the street and went into my condo. I had to use a flashlight and I had no idea about the other results. I called AP and asked them for the results I was missing, threw the list together and gave it to them.

Huggy, maumann and MileHigh like this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Except for the intro writups. Some guy pulled those out of his ass each week! ;)

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Challenge for any Big Ten or Big 12 team. You can start the year 7-0 without having to play a game. But you have to end the schedule with Florida's November schedule.

No. 1 Georgia
    No. 4 Texas
    No. 13 LSU
    No. 6 Ole Miss
    No. 10 Florida State

Any takers?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And interesting conflicts!

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That, plus a lot of them were placed on waivers for the purpose of being given their unconditional release due to a cheating and honor code violation.

dixiehack likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Do you mean that literally? Ie the first game of this theoretical season is vs. Georgia?
    I don’t think anybody would take that deal.
    Now if you mean the team is 7-0 having played seven bad teams, I think there might be a few takers but very few.

What happens to Napier if the Gators start 7-0 — and move into the top 5 as a result — but lose four straight? Does he survive or get whacked?

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nobody with a poll ballot will be fooled into thinking the Gators are top 5 material. But they do have some meat on the front end of the schedule. Miami and A&M at home plus a trip to Rocky Top.

I think his point is they have an absolute hell month looming.

tapintoamerica likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted