1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll tell my mother-in-law that her whole purpose as a postmenopausal woman is to watch my kids. I think that will go swimmingly.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chicken Fried Steak at a joint in McLean Texas in April 2021.

[​IMG]

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Being white and staying on Jesus’ good side (which is where abortion and gay rights comes in). A lot of people have convinced themselves they like the rest of the Republican agenda that goes with it, but really it is those two things.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If it's better than M****y's in St*****n, T****s, then Blue Ridge is road-trippable.

(redacting to avoid the blowback)

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Guy
    Republican
    Identifies
    The
    Source

WriteThinking likes this.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

garrow likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The gravy is under the steak?

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's a secret ballot. Tell your mouth-breathing friends what they want to hear, then vote for Harris.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anything that will make whites feel superior.
    Running against the fedruhl guvmint.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jeez, if you don't have the balls to and the brains to explain to a person why you voted for Harris and not Trump, then something inside of you is broken.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say anything about the "poorest states."

I know people want to turn this into rooting for a team. ... if only those people in Mississippi voted for Democrats, the state wouldn't be poor.

Politicians don't affect people's household finances at that kind of granular level, especially at the state and local level. Even at the national level, Ben Bernanke, Janet Yellen and Jay Powell have had a gazillion times more impact on what I am talking about than any of the presidents we had over the last 2 decades.

Michigan has the most financially distressed people in the country. It's not the poorest state. It has a darling governor from the Democratic Party. It voted for Bill Clinton twice, Al Gore, John Kerry, Barack Obama twice (but by narrower and narrower margins). ... and then Donald Trump in 2016, the first time it had voted red for president since 1988. It was in play against Biden (it shouldn't have even been close after 4 years of Donald Trump) and it's a dead heat right now with him against Harris.

20 years ago a Democratic Party candidate like Kamala Harris would have carried Michigan easily. Against a complete shit show like Donald Trump (who would never have been on a ballot in the first place, but the increasing discontent with the national politicians we have gotten over that time are what made him viable for so many people), she'd have carried it in a landslide.

In Q1 2024, Michigan had the most accounts per person in financial distress. ... meaning accounts where the account holder was temporarily allowed to not make payments due to financial difficulty. It's precisely the reason Donald Trump is viable there. If you don't think that is what is driving this election, nothing else I say is going to convince you of the reality. The only thing making her viable is that it's Donald Trump. The only think making him viable is that she's the same old thing that people had already been tuning out as they have fallen behind.

Draft saved Draft deleted