1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can't stand him on IndyCar. Glad he's NASCAR's problem now.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow. Sawyer grew a pair. That's actually using the rule book to tell RCR to knock it off without stepping over "Have at it, boys."

The spotter saying "wreck him" had to be the decisive piece of evidence, no matter what Dillon and Childress say.

Hopefully this stops the next clown from turning his car into a wrecking ball on the final lap. Although I can see this also putting NASCAR in a spot where it's not obvious whether it was intentional or not.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wow, I’m stunned. They probably only did it because pretty much everyone was pissed.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Telling a driver to wreck someone, basically in public, is very bad. Spotters are relative nobodies so that's where Nascar should have dropped a harder hammer than three races.

SixToe, maumann and wicked like this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Are there any drivers that most of the NASCAR drivers today think are "good?" Seems they all seem to think everyone else sucks. Seem to recall Mark Martin, Kenseth and Harvick being the last drivers everyone respected for the way they raced.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised they didn't throw in a suspension and a hefty fine for Dillon as well, to send an even stronger message — both to him and to the other 42 drivers who might want to send their own message at some point in the next three months.

8. maumann

And they're supposed to be the guy protecting everybody else by helping their driver AVOID other cars. Not to act as a range finder.

I'm guessing the spotters' meeting in Michigan might be very interesting to attend.

playthrough likes this.
  9. maumann

Having seen Carl Edwards nearly send Brad Keselowski over the wall at Atlanta, if THAT didn't end the "payback" bullshit, nothing will. But hopefully Logano and Hamlin will pick smarter and less obvious places to send a clear message to the driver of the No. 3.

I can't believe old 'Roid Rage has been elected to the Hall of Fame. Then again, nobody cares.

Driftwood likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Everyone may not have heard of him, but Dirt Late Model hall of famer Scott Bloomquist was killed in a small plane crash today.
    He tried to get into NASCAR a time or two but was always turned away because of drug charges.
    He was a heck of a Late Model driver, though.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  11. maumann

Saw that trending. Sad news.

Man, the list of guys who derailed their careers -- Jeremy Mayfield, Shane Hmiel, Shane Sieg, Kevin Grubb, and the aptly named Sammy Potashnick -- is a long one.

I see where Kurt Busch got busted for DWI. Huh. Such a nice guy.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bloomquist was on Dale Jr.'s podcast two or three years ago and was a nutter. I know nothing about dirt, but it appeared he was still near the top of his game.

I feel bad for Kurt Busch, because it appears there are mental health issues at play there. The guy ain't a saint, but he's also been through a lot.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted