1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All News format out, ESPN Radio takes over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Readallover, Aug 13, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

For many years, the great Larry Zimmer did Colorado football on Saturday and the Broncos on Sunday on KOA.

Liut likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Joe Starkey tried to do the same with Cal and the 49ers, but after having to bail the first half of a Bears game at Fresno State to make an early Niners game at Dallas, he said enough, quit the 49ers at the end of the season and stuck with Cal until retirement.

maumann, MileHigh and Liut like this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

University of Missouri/KFRU-Columbia grad, IIRC.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The band is onto the field! Maybe the greatest moment in ACC football history.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Horrible, yet to your point the show had every ounce of ESPN's marketing power behind it. Now every ESPN Radio host might as well be in witness protection.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Another Mizzou alum, Jim Irwin, did Packers, Bucks and Badgers football for flagship WTMJ for about a 15-year period.
    Jim was kinda a mentor. His travel schedule was nutso back then. Told me once he never used a travel agent.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember hearing longtime wrestling announcer Tony Schiavone doing a WSB news update during (I think) Neil Boortz's show while driving to a football game one Friday evening. I think it was in the early-to-mid 2000s after WCW went belly up. If you're a wrestling fan the voice is instantly recognizable, so it was a really weird and random moment of a guy drawing any paycheck he could when he was between gigs.

Liut likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was riding back from Myrtle Beach with my brother one time and we stumbled on the Braves pregame show. He probably hasn’t watched or listened to nine innings of baseball in his entire life, but he instantly recognized Schiavone.

Liut and Batman like this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I remember the wrestling that aired in the early Turner SuperStation days.
    The host was Gordon Solie and Tommy "Wild Fire" Rich was the man!

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Is Bruno on in Philly?

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The Freebirds were terrifying to 11-year-old me.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Now? Yes
    Back in the day? No

Brooklyn Bridge and Liut like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted