1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All News format out, ESPN Radio takes over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Readallover, Aug 13, 2024.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Zim was a screamer. Which I despise. Zim’s deal (which I love to this day)….is if you were playing like krap, he would call you out for it.
    I love Logan.
    I love Hastings.
    I love them both together.
    Both of them on the Broncos was a disaster.
    Mark Johnson is very good for CU.

Liut and MileHigh like this.
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Gene Deckerhoff doubled up with the Bucs and Florida State until dropping the Noles after the 2021 season. That’s a helluva commute even if both teams are at home that weekend.

Wes Durham had the Georgia Tech/Falcons combo for a while and still does Falcons radio in addition to his ACC Network duties.

Liut, maumann and playthrough like this.
  3. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

There were few Saturday radio delights in the autumn on a par with discovering Georgia was playing a night football game. That meant the dulcet tones of Larry Munson were carried across the miles on WSB 750. "The stupid clock," "Get the picture," "We're on the 34-and-a-half yard line," "Loran, whadda ya got?" and countless other phrases spilled out of the radio as Larry described the successes and failures of the Dawgs. One night at Tennessee, he exclaimed, "The defensive spotting board just flew out the window," which made the rest of the broadcast even more of an adventure.
    The magic of clear-channel radio (and sometimes not so clear in our DXing exploits) could bring a midwesterner, in season, the Bruins on WBZ, LSU football on WWL, the Dodgers and Kings on KFI, magically appearing most of the time about two hours after our sunset, and a host of stations in between. The legacy of network radio's heyday meant most of the powerhouses were NBC or CBS affiliates, so news on the hour was never out of reach. And all the midwest powerhouses seemed to have baseball, or hockey, or both. KMOX had everything, including the all-night music show hosted by John McCormick, "the man who walks and talks at midnight on the 50,000 red-hot watts of KMOX, St. Louis." Between live sports and music to doze off to (McCormick's tunefest, KOA with the "Dolly Holiday" show, WCCO with Franklin Hobbs, WJR with Jay Roberts on Nightflight 760, WGN with Franklyn MacCormack, later Jay Andres, all provided the shows to do that, even in the post "Music Til Dawn" era on several CBS stations, including WCBS), it was a nightly feast.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
    wicked, I Should Coco, Liut and 4 others like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In November 1999, the rocket scientists at Boone Newspapers flew a handful of employees from various points across the South up to Minneapolis for several days to train each of us on maintaining the new web pages the company was setting up for our respective papers.

My publisher booked me on a flight that didn’t arrive at MSP until quite late, maybe 9-10 pm. But this actually worked in my favor because I became the only one in the group with a rental vehicle.

Saturday was a free day for those few of us having to wait on Sunday flights home. I wouldn’t have minded exploring the city on my own, but I wanted to be fair and not leave my new friends stranded at the hotel. So we settled on an all-day outing to the Mall of America.

We all met back up right around sundown for the drive back. One woman in the group was dying to know how Auburn was doing against UGA. So I rolled the dice, tuned in 750 and sure enough we were barely able to get a few static-filled sentences from Munson, grousing as the Dawgs were going down in flames.

For a moment in time we were connected back to home from a very distant outpost. And it didn’t seem quite as far away.

5. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

"Hunker down!"

Liut and maumann like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to forget Bill King, who for a couple of years in the early 80s was doing the Warriors, A's and Raiders. Holy Toledo!

Typist Clerk, Liut and maumann like this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, Greg Papa started with the Warriors on the radio, then did the A's, added the Raiders, the Giants for a time, and now does the 49ers. You'd think the Sharks would let him handle some pre-season game just for fun.

Typist Clerk and Liut like this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Durham and Dave Archer are very very good together on Falcons radio.

Liut likes this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Always.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree on all except Hastings, who I can't stand. Logan is awesome and probably the greatest high school football coach in state history. Big M.J. fan. Lots of enthusiasm. He and Barnett are very good together.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
    Liut likes this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tying what you were listening to with the part of your life you were in ... I listened to Steve Czaban as well as Tony Bruno on Fox Sports Radio (Andrew Siciliano was his sidekick) when I was home a lot with my infant daughter. She's in college now.

wicked, Chef2, Batman and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted