1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ocean Boulevard in what's safe to say is blue country but do see more + more Trump signs and keep hearing that California will turn red soon.

upload_2024-8-15_8-28-22.jpeg

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Stop it. California isn't turning red soon. Besides, so many trump lovers are on the Calpers gravy train (hate the government but loooove the government salaries, benes and pension) and move to Idaho or Tennessee as soon as they retire.

3. poindexter

You know what's insane? I know of at least two firefighters (one LA County, one Long Beach Fire Department) who live in Idaho, and fly in for their fire work shifts. That's how much money firefighters make in California.
    I'd bet a month's pension that they are voting for Trump. Economic anxiety, my ass.

Slacker, Dog8Cats, garrow and 3 others like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I don't get the idea that Harris is a "bad" candidate either. If anything, she's a bit of an unknown since she was not prominently featured during her first three years as VP. And she's the younger, energetic alternative to Biden. I don't think many everyday Americans breathlessly pay attention to political rallies, but I can see randos tuning into her night at the convention to see exactly what she's about. Oh, and she's not Trump and 60 percent of America (at least) is just fucking over that guy.

Slacker, sgreenwell, garrow and 6 others like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have friends wanting a "deep dive" on her policies - I tell them, She's not Trump and she's younger than Biden. That's all the policy I need.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It won't be long until transplants outnumber native-born Tennesseans. Our best and brightest young people are leaving as soon as they can, leading to a massive brain drain. People like me who have the means to are leaving. Of course, the transplants looking to buy real estate are a godsend to me.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why would any candidate detail a platform before their convention?

8. poindexter

My Trump voting brother and sister in law have friends. Their daughter is a NICU nurse, moved from Long Beach to hospital in Nashville. The parents told me that her daughter said she finally feels like she is "living in America". My brother in law has targeted his retirement date as December 2026 to retire with his Calpers pension as a municipal worker. He has been on Redfin for years, checking out houses in Tennessee and will move like the day after he retires.

Where are the best and brightest of Tennessee moving to?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what "detail a platform" means (release it? update it?), but the RNC released its platform on July 9.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It was nothing but Trumpian catchphrases with zero explanation of how they'll do them. Hell, they even wrote them in ALL CAPS like Trump was tweeting it.

1. SEAL THE BORDER, AND STOP THE MIGRANT INVASION

2. CARRY OUT THE LARGEST DEPORTATION OPERATION IN AMERICAN HISTORY

3. END INFLATION, AND MAKE AMERICA AFFORDABLE AGAIN

4. MAKE AMERICA THE DOMINANT ENERGY PRODUCER IN THE WORLD, BY FAR!

5. STOP OUTSOURCING, AND TURN THE UNITED STATES INTO A MANUFACTURING SUPERPOWER

6. LARGE TAX CUTS FOR WORKERS, AND NO TAX ON TIPS!

7. DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION, OUR BILL OF RIGHTS, AND OUR FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS,

INCLUDING FREEDOM OF SPEECH, FREEDOM OF RELIGION, AND THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR

ARMS

8. PREVENT WORLD WAR THREE, RESTORE PEACE IN EUROPE AND IN THE MIDDLE EAST, AND BUILD A

GREAT IRON DOME MISSILE DEFENSE SHIELD OVER OUR ENTIRE COUNTRY -- ALL MADE IN AMERICA

9. END THE WEAPONIZATION OF GOVERNMENT AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

10. STOP THE MIGRANT CRIME EPIDEMIC, DEMOLISH THE FOREIGN DRUG CARTELS, CRUSH GANG

VIOLENCE, AND LOCK UP VIOLENT OFFENDERS

1. REBUILD OUR CITIES, INCLUDING WASHINGTON DC, MAKING THEM SAFE, CLEAN, AND BEAUTIFUL AGAIN.

2. STRENGTHEN AND MODERNIZE OUR MILITARY, MAKING IT, WITHOUT QUESTION, THE STRONGEST AND MOST POWERFUL IN THE WORLD

3. KEEP THE U.S. DOLLAR AS THE WORLD’S RESERVE CURRENCY

4. FIGHT FOR AND PROTECT SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE WITH NO CUTS, INCLUDING NO

CHANGES TO THE RETIREMENT AGE

5. CANCEL THE ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANDATE AND CUT COSTLY AND BURDENSOME REGULATIONS

6. CUT FEDERAL FUNDING FOR ANY SCHOOL PUSHING CRITICAL RACE THEORY, RADICAL GENDER

IDEOLOGY, AND OTHER INAPPROPRIATE RACIAL, SEXUAL, OR POLITICAL CONTENT ON OUR

CHILDREN

7. KEEP MEN OUT OF WOMEN’S SPORTS

8. DEPORT PRO-HAMAS RADICALS AND MAKE OUR COLLEGE CAMPUSES SAFE AND PATRIOTIC AGAIN

9. SECURE OUR ELECTIONS, INCLUDING SAME DAY VOTING, VOTER IDENTIFICATION, PAPER BALLOTS,

AND PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP

10. UNITE OUR COUNTRY BY BRINGING IT TO NEW AND RECORD LEVELS OF SUCCESS

Azrael likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I guess a better way to say it is the best young people are leaving the rural areas. Some are going out of state. Some are staying within the state but going to larger areas for more job opportunities and things to do. For example, I had a former student - born and raised locally - who came back and was a student teacher for him. He didn't even apply for jobs here. I work with another young woman who was also a former student at my school. She is desperately trying to leave for larger areas.
    I tell kids all the time that if the only people here by the time they are my age will be pill heads and retirees or rednecks from out of state.
    This semester, I have one transfer student from California, one from New Hampshire, two totally unconnected kids from Oregon, and one from Indiana. Their families all moved here this summer, and it's not because we've added hundreds of new jobs. Out of staters always trigger my Spidey Sense in terms of "why?" and I usually have a good idea. One of the kids from Oregon asked me the other day if she could ask me a question. "Certainly." Pretty girl. Smart. "What do you think of the federal government trying to take our guns?" Annnnnd there it was.
    As for Nashville, it isn't really Tennessee in terms of people and ideology. That's why the state legislature and the city are constantly at odds. The city has sued and won against the state about 10 times in the last year because the state legislature keeps trying to pass laws to punish the city and strip its local authority because Nashville declined to host the GOP convention.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'll take that.

OscarMadison, Slacker and Scout like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted