1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My sister-in-law commutes to SoCal from Idaho for her high-paying job in the mortgage industry.

poindexter likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're a lot more likely to find a place they find workable there than in Tennessee or Alabama. Trust me. I've seen so many smart young UAB grads pull up stakes and move to Chicago or Atlanta or wherever.

Driftwood likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

@Songbird is a nice guy, and a great contributor. But he has this habit of finding one data point with his camera, and making a declaration based on that.
    He was in LA a few years ago, the season the Rams won the Super Bowl. The week of the Rams-Cards wildcard playoff game, he saw some dude on Pico wearing an AZ Cards hat, and determined that the Cards were going to beat the Rams. The Rams shellacked the Cards 34-11, and it wasn't even that close.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Makes sense.

High paying mortgage job, a Goldman Sachs employee, or a rank and file firefighter. That's who can afford to commute from California to Idaho and back for their jobs.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3 8-pointers and they’d’a’won 35-34.

I think that guy was a bus driver.

Big Circus and poindexter like this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Kids have been leaving the farm to chase their ambitions in the city since there were cities.

SFIND and maumann like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

8. Neutral Corner

Sure. Now apply that to educated young people who watch the state legislature where they live repeatedly pass laws that are clearly unconstitutional, then spend hundreds of thousands of tax dollars defending it. The culture war nonsense is so egregious that the urge to pull up stakes becomes just that much more urgent.

OscarMadison, garrow, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

NYT: Why lowering the price of the 10 most popular Medicare drugs is bad for Biden.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How are you gonna' keep em on the farm after they've seen Carl Hungus?

TowelWaver and Azrael like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

JD Vance sounds like a windup doll with a tangled string.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm a product of that train of thinking three times over.

My grandfather left the farm in Ontario to build houses in Calgary in 1906. My other grandfather left the farm in Wisconsin to build automobiles in Detroit in 1935. My father left General Motors in 1960 to learn computer engineering in Florida.

And if you've never been to Barstow, I envy you. It's nothing but a train switching yard, surrounded by miles of desert in every direction. It's hot and windy and dry with little vegetation, and nowhere you'd ever want to live, unless you're a rattlesnake. I can only think of a handful of places in California that would be worse.

There isn't really a Southern equivalent, but perhaps Waycross without trees and humidity and outrageous California prices.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted