1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The Hawk Tuah woman threw out the first pitch at the Mets game today. Why, I’m not sure. She was introduced as a “viral sensation” which is a way to put it.

Spitballs once again welcome in MLB!

Perhaps she’ll have a Grimace-like effect on the scuffling ballclub.

Batman likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Take last night's Braves-Giants game. Giants starter got lit up for five runs in the top of the first. Pulled after 39 pitches. But under the new rules, he'd have to go five full? No thanks.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

As much as I might roll my eyes at an "opener," I don't know if you can legislate that without opening a shitcan of worms.

Deskgrunt50, maumann and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Manfred is lucky all the recent rules changes have worked out well. Quit while you’re ahead.

That six-inning proposal is a nonstarter for a host of reasons. The MLBPA would be strongly against, I assume. For health and stats reasons.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That would be covered under the "four or more earned runs allowed" exception.
    But, yeah, this is the latest in a long line of dumb ideas from the House of Manfred. As much as I think your starters should always strive to go at least 5-7 innings and love to see guys go deep into games, this isn't something you can fix with a rule. You have to change and evolve pitching philosophies, the same way we got to this point in the first place.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  6. jr/shotglass

This will teach him to get a hit.

What a weird trip for Livan Soto. Comes up for the first time in 2022 with the Angels and promptly hits .400. And that's not 2-for-5; that was 22-for-55.

His MLB totals since: 2-for-15.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

1-o, Mariners in Detroit after 5. The only run came on four walks in the first inning.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Weird trip for Soto indeed. This is his 2024 season

[​IMG]

jr/shotglass likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

So people want him ... but they don't really want him!

That transaction list should make the Class AAAA Hall of Fame.

Batman likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This guy was the ultimate common baseball card I got in the '80s:

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That the Giants didn't make a bid is beyond explanation, the way Farhan shops the bargain basement.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My goodness, does Seattle know how to fuck it up against the Tigers.

Get blasted Monday. Give up two in the eight for the tie last night, lose in extras. Give up two in the eighth today to fall behind by one. Lost two out of three to them at home last week.

Draft saved Draft deleted