1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ludlow and Baker are pretty rough. Mountain Pass. Needles sucks, but at least it's near the river and it is the home of Spike.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nashville has little public transit for commuting. The other fundamental issue about popular places to relocate is that eventually, the reasons so many people move there start to look more like the old places--overcrowding, higher taxes, soaring housing costs, not enough schools or hospitals, etc., because the new places don't have services and infrastructure to accommodate a rapidly expanding population.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

SFIND, garrow, franticscribe and 2 others like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I was thinking Ridgecrest, California City, Stovepipe, Coalinga, Taft ... even Alturas is desolate.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Millennia ago, when the dinosaurs and I ruled the earth, Baker, California had two wonderful things: Strawberry milkshakes at the Bun Boy, and the world's tallest thermometer, also at the Bun Boy.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Drove through Needles many a time during my stint in Lake Havasu City. There is a Spike's Mini-Storage there.

garrow, UNCGrad and MileHigh like this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Don't have them, and are reluctant to raise taxes to fund such improvements until things have gotten out of hand bad.

goalmouth likes this.
  7. MileHigh

Well, if we're going to Ridgecrest, then you've got to include Trona, which makes Barstow look like Beverly Hills. Trona High School's football field is sand because of the high alkaline in the ground.

In the 1980s, the CIF banned playoff football games from being played there.

As a CIF commissioner once said of Trona, "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there."

garrow and maumann like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And if you don't like Barstow, Zzyzx is just up the road!

2muchcoffeeman, maumann and MileHigh like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget Trona and it's all-sand football field at the high school.

EDIT: H/T @MileHigh

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I like Kamala.

I'd be happy if she came to my dinner party.

That's all I've got. Good Ragu, that's all I've got.

11. MileHigh

Our summer vacations as kids were spent on my grandparents' farm in southwest Colorado and we would drive there from SoCal. We left at 4 a.m. so we could get through the desert before the real heat kicked in. Been through that stretch of I-40 from Barstow to Flagstaff (and the other way) many times.

maumann likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My God

Draft saved Draft deleted