1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Always turned right at the Pilot to go to Havasu. Didn't set foot in Kingman until I had jury duty there. Classic Old West courthouse. One of the bailiffs pointed out there was a spot at both tables for the attorneys to hang their cowboy hats.

One Saturday night while I lived there the Phoenix PBS station showed "Grapes of Wrath," and had a moment as the Joads prepared to cross the desert from Kingman, thinking, that's just up the road.

I Should Coco, MileHigh and maumann like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, we were happy when we got to Kingman, because then it was a slow climb up to Flagstaff and cooler weather. Seligman. Ash Fork. Williams. Then the turn onto 89 and dropping back into the desert and the long slog across the Navajo Trail until the Sleeping Ute came into sight, then Mesa Verde. Long-ass drives that my parents pulled in a day.

maumann likes this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Trona, as everyone knows, is a non-marine evaporite mineral. The photogenic Trona Railway was founded to bring potash out of the Mojave to a grateful nation.

MileHigh and maumann like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'll hang up and listen to your reply.

WashingtonCNN — The backbone of America’s economy remains solid, despite a slowing job market, elevated interest rates and still-high inflation.
    Sales at US retailers unexpectedly surged in July, the Commerce Department said Thursday, rising by a solid 1% from the prior month, up from June’s downwardly revised 0.2% decline. That trounced economists’ expectations of a 0.3% gain.
    Retail sales, which are adjusted for seasonal swings but not inflation, make up a sizable chunk of overall spending. July’s reading is a boon for the US economy because the country’s economic growth hinges on Americans spending their dollars.
    It is the economy’s latest show of strength in the face of several economic hurdles squeezing the US consumer.
    The Dow jumped 408 points, or 1%, as investors cheered the retail sales report. The S&P 500 gained 1.1%, and the Nasdaq Composite added 1.6%.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Biden sounded like his old self. But GQP will jump on Harris not speaking much.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I just throw that out the window by now. If she'd dominated the conversation, they'd point and snicker about that.

Baron Scicluna and SFIND like this.
  7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Rail freight traffic is up for the most recent week and y-o-y. The Port of LA in July had a record high month for container imports of holiday merch and expect another record this month.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

All this makes me anxious. I have anxiety.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I totally agree. A LOT of angry, disgruntled trumpian californians are leaving.

But here's the weird thing. When a house in the LA area goes up for sale, there is a frenzy for bidding. If you are selling a house, even a shit hole, you can name your price.

In the tone of Jerry Seinfeld, "Who are these people?" paying thisclose to $1,000,000 for a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1500 sq ft house? They can't all be investors, can they?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Same was happening in Ventura before we left -- only that price got you 2/1.5 in midtown. And they were being snapped up and people were living in them (not flipping).

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Blythe California. This might be the only public bathroom at the gas station.

There's a little Keith Haring in Mob K graffiti artist.

[​IMG]

Dog8Cats likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted