1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Didn't know that. Good idea, particularly for the Winter Games, where it's often hard to get to a ski hill far away.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

ESPN and hyperbole?

In related news, dog bites man.

Liut, 2muchcoffeeman and playthrough like this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jim Plunkett ... Legend of the ACC.
    John Elway ... Legend of the ACC.
    (Can't wait for the ACC to continue this crap ... )

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think I'll take the NBC Olympics montage with Remember the Titans over One Shining Moment. The music is better, and my goodness, the shots NBC came up with. Great editing. Particularly their use of the voice cut-ins.
    Do they even do those Olympics movies that Bud Greenspan used to do?

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Random thing I looked up because reasons:

Keely Hodgkinson is from greater Manchester and she's a Red.

Keely Hodgkinson's Old Trafford dream

Also, with a face like that, I suspect the tabloids will make her life a living hell for a while if they weren't doing so already.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to them replaying The Play as an "ACC Classic" on the ACC Network.

Liut likes this.
  7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I've seen Pitt's 1981 Sugar Bowl win over Georgia as a "Classic" on ACC Network.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How does defending the Algerian boxer make me someone who is ok with men beating up women?
    Explain it to me like I’m 5.

Someone posted this is response to my question about why her competing in the 2020 Olympics wasn’t an issue.

[HE was allowed to compete in the Olympics the 2020 Olympics because no one tested. His gender was discussed in 2018 & 2019 by the AIBA.
    HE was born with DSD and probably assigned the WRONG gender at birth.
    Creepy that you’re so interested in promoting violence against women. Says a lot about you.
    I’m off to the gym, so don’t bother replying
    ]

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Your post demonstrates the problems our society has. These issues become "hot takes" and complicated subjects become oversimplified. God knows how many commentators pontificate that it is easy to determine the difference between a male and a female. And most of the time it is.

But historically, dating back to Eastern European female shot putters, the problem has been with people with DSD, not transsexuals. Diagnosing DSD and writing rules for people with that condition requires a hell of lot more expertise and intelligence than radio talk show hosts possess. But the idiocy continues.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2024
    HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Was I basically talking to an idiot there? Nobody is assigned the wrong gender at birth. It does not happen.

And please explain how my position on this means I condone men beating up women? I really resent that.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

My apologies that I did not make myself more clear. I was referring to the comments of the person you were quoting, who I believe is an idiot. I at no time meant to imply that you condoned men beating up women.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted