1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I would take betting on state results more seriously than I would take betting on overall results (like state v national polling). Do the offshore books get that detailed?

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wonder what the swing looks like in the diners.

Baron Scicluna and HanSenSE like this.
  3. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

By Mace’s logic, one can mispronounce a name just because it gives them shits and giggles, and who cares? It’s all about what she wants.

Me, I want to pronounce Mace’s name exactly as one would pronounce “Karen.” And thus, I will.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think the amounts bet would be as important as the number of people betting. Usually, you will get some people betting a lot of money, others betting a little. But ideally if you are trying to use it as a predictor, you' want as large pool of betters as possible, all informing their bets with whatever asymmetric information they have . The more people who are involved, usually the more predictive it is going to be.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Alexandra Petri is my Beau/hat guy. I do not apologize for being a fanboi.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...0.c3taHgSEmLegoZVINO09a46Wc0JKNK2CJoVXQc4ZXQw

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In my observation, political betting markets serve mostly as reflections of what is this week's Beltway conventional wisdom. They are reactive more than predictive.
    PS: Dixiehack, Petri is just an amazing writer. She can be wholly hilarious and frivolous, but when she goes in for somebody, she usually annihilates them.

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

What you describe is proxy betting and that is very illegal.

poindexter likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

OK, everyone. Watch what you say for a while. Poin is going to get us all on an FBI watchlist, and Starman and goalmouth on there again.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wow. Don't forget about me.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps the "Beltway conventional wisdom" follows where voting sentiment is. Or maybe "Beltway conventional wisdom" influences which way voters are leaning.

Regardless, crowd behavior -- and markets that reflect it -- is just something I am very interested in.

A few things I know for certain. Whatever I (or you, or anyone else) is correlating with where something is priced (for example, odds in a betting market) probably misses way more other things than you'd imagine. Beltway conventional wisdom might influence odds, but a lot goes into candidates winning over voters, and information about what is happening -- even when it comes to something like voter sentiment -- is asymmetric. There are always people who know specific things that you or I aren't going to know related to an event. Or people who pay more attention to more news or have some kind of exclusive or private information, or who just have a better feel for the probablities of something happening based on their accumulated knowledge of factors that is superior to other people's.

Betting odds don't predict things with 100 percent certainty, especially when there is a luck or randomness aspect to the thing being bet on -- like with sports. Elections don't have that kind of randomness to the degree that sports do, actually. Like maybe extreme weather might keep people from voting and influence an election. But generally, you are predicting a binary event where there isn't a whole lot of randomness. People settle on one of two candidates (for the most part) and vote for that candidate. With something like that, crowd behavior in a very well populated market (where the market participants are rewarded when they are right or bear the cost if they are wrong) is usually pretty predictive. If "Beltway conventional wisdom" has it all wrong, there will always be plenty of people making their bet in a calculated way, who are poised to profit from getting it right.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Your reply to polling is "They didn't poll me or any of my friends in Peckerwood, Pennsylvania. Therefore, I don't find polling valid."

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The next person arrested or fined in the US for betting on Bovada will be the first.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted