1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Never, apparently.
    Good economic news is actually bad. Those of us living our lives just don't know it. And bad economic news is much, much worse than we realize.
    The only time the economy was good for America was The Gilded Age because the job creators investing capital were getting the just due.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

FWIW, my acquaintances in freelance content management have seen a recent uptick in offers and retainers after a serious dry spell. Part of that is a rejection of AI by brands and an improved economic outlook. But business on the whole per history are waiting for the election and certainty until laying further plans. There may be some end of year surge of pent-up spending.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Money is a generally accepted way for establishing values and prices, and we use it to exchange goods and services.

As someone who works hard to earn "money," what I want (and what YOU and anyone else with a brain should want) is for the value of my money to remain stable (or sound). That is the only "policy" around money that is necessary.

Monetary "policy" last century (into today) became: "We are going to deliberately rob you of the value of your money while telling you it's good for you."

In the U.S., they created a private cartel of hand-picked winners (it was inherently corrupt), created by politicians, and that cartel has legal price-fixing authority that has allowed them to continually devalue your money. ... robbing you for all kinds of reasons that don't benefit you financially, whether you get it or not.

As credit became the main form of money in society, they were allowed to take even greater control of your money (because when you let the camel's nose under the tent, you eventually have a camel in the tent), where our credit markets aren't free, with millions of borrowers and lenders voluntarily transacting with each other and finding agreeable prices. Instead, appointed czars dictate those prices, which surprise surprise, get used to devalue your money. ... expanding credit endlessly (and exponentially higher over the last few decades, because they got way carried away and backed themselves into a corner with a house of cards that now requires exponentially more debt creation in perpetuity to prop up the mountain of debt from the past that they can't get out from under).

That is hunky dory with your government that appoints those price-fixing czars, because it is running up massive debts that rely on your vaunted monetary "policy" to try to inflate away the problem (i.e. steal the value of YOUR money).

Since the advent of the Federal Reserve the U.S. dollar has lost approximately 99 percent of its value (that is not an exaggeration). I don't really need a "policy" around something as simple as money, but if you want one it would be, "Don't do that."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Anecdotal to be sure, but last weekend there were four separate open houses in the neighborhood. I hadn't seen "for sale" signs in so long, I forgot what they looked like.

I haven't talked with any realtors but the idea that the Fed "might" cut interest rates seems to be fueling speculation that buyers could get in now and refinance when rates drop.

Driftwood likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

It's hard to compare the present with the past but it's also hard to see the 19th century American economy as some sort of wonderful thing. A tiny middle class and bank "panics" coming along like clockwork every decade don't sound great.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're a spectacular economy when Europe blows itself up.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Panics don't originate from monetary events. To state the obvious, bank panics happen when banks don't retain adequate reserves. Having a form of sound money underpinning a country doesn't cause (or prevent) bank panics.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Working an entire hour every week to buy one box of butter sounds like fun.

Counting on Europe to blow itself up is an amazing business plan that pays off every 20 years.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2024
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So that's what they mean by Make America Great Again?

Draft saved Draft deleted