1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I presume that hard work to earn money doesn’t involve people skills.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My bad. I personally don't want my money to be devalued on me. But I think he should want that to happen to him, because, well, um, hmmm, "people skills." Better?

3. dixiehack

No the point is you are a compete jackass to people and I doubt I’m the only one sick of it.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

There are easily 100 more. ... someone randomly posting things about me (not in respone to me) all over the board like it's a bodily function.

I honestly don't care if you think I'm a jackass.

5. dixiehack

I would happily ignore if I could.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. The Big Ragu

You know the Morganization thing you posted a page back?

The Federal Reserve System was created in secrecy in 1910, when several of the most prominent bankers in the country and some politicians that included the most powerful U.S. Senator at the time (Nelson Aldrich) met on Jekyll Island. ... They traveled there under assumed names, and none of them ever acknowledged the meeting even happened (or what happened at it) until sometime in the 1930s.

The reason it happened at Jekyll Island? There was a private and exclusive club there, which JP Morgan was the most prominent member of. Morgan's interests that day were represented by Henry Davison.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I also think you're a jackass, and I think you should put your foot in your mouth and leave it there.

Same.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine a single contemporary individual having Morgan's kind of absolute power.

I shudder to think of any current robber baron exerting the same force on the economy.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What's that saying about running into jackasses all day?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yeah ... my insurance company, when I expressed my extreme displeasure at spiking rates in spite of a clean record, wanted that kind of data for my machine in exchange for a bigger discount.

Gee ... with what the vehicle has, including a bunch of performance features, your company wouldn't think of exaggerating a metric or three, would you?

Hard pass. As in "the ABS had to work to keep the car from skidding" kind of pass.

12. The Big Ragu

I would have had no problem with JP Morgan or the "power" he earned. ... he became who he was because he built some amazing and sucessful companies as a financier during a hugely formative period of American economic growth. Those companies made America an economic power. He was innovative, dedicated to efficiency and he embraced modernization techniques that personally brought him success. ... and enormous wealth. Good for him. America was better for the things he helped create, and he was rewarded for it.

What I would have had a problem with was our government corrupting itself to enrich him further with unfair "pay for play" preferences because of who he was and his ability to buy off the most sleazy and corrupt politicians of the time. I'd say that anyone with a brain should feel that way, but in the interest of people skills, I'll leave it to you to decide if you like government corruption.

Draft saved Draft deleted