1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We forget that the conventions are the political equivalent of the Oscars -- nothing but an industry awards show that the public is allowed to sit in on. Just like we have to wade through the sound editor's speeches, so too do we have to sit through the ancient politicos before we get to the Best Actress award.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is an outstanding comparison. I mean, you can turn on C-Span in the afternoon, and there will be speeches by people for whom your reaction will be, "who the hell is that? Never heard of 'em. Not sure I've heard of the state the chyron says they're from."

DanielSimpsonDay and TigerVols like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My goddaughter is a delegate at the DNC, one of the youngest in the country.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tennis broadcasters are batting about .058 at pronouncing Slavic names correctly.

They don't have a thumb on the scale, but they do have six bodies.

[​IMG]

7. DanOregon

When was the last time a former GOP President (besides Trump this year) spoke at an RNC? Would you believe 1996! Hurricane prevented W. from attending live in 2008. Though I was surprised HW wasn't included in 2000 when his son was the nominee. 2004 was all about 9/11.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Man, I don't care if she went on "Meet the Press" and waved Biden's severed head around. If you are a Democrat you owe Pelosi a massive debt of gratitude. If she wants to speak at the convention, she gets to speak.

9. Songbird

Pelosi is the one who made Kamala/Coach Tim happen.

Pelosi got rid of Trump once and this is her swan song.

She is the most powerful person in America.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. DanOregon

I do give her credit for stepping out of House leadership and anointing Jeffries. But its pretty clear she still is likely in the room when decisions are made. She's always had good instincts, knew when and who to use the carrot, and the stick to keep power and egos in check.

garrow and TowelWaver like this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Convention organizers released night-by-night themes and speaker details on Sunday morning. One speaker who's not on the official agenda but Axios has confirmed will take the stage on Tuesday: former First Lady Michelle Obama.

• Monday, "For the People": Biden and Dr. Jill Biden speak, along with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and a welcome from Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson.
    • Tuesday, "A Bold Vision for America's Future": Former President Obama plus Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff, with a welcome from Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker.
    • Wednesday, "A Fight for Our Freedoms": V.P. nominee Tim Walz delivers his acceptance speech, preceded by former President Bill Clinton, Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg (per CNN).
    • Thursday, "For Our Future": Vice President Harris accepts the convention's nomination for president.
    Other speakers include Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries.

• Former President Carter's grandson, Jason Carter, is expected to speak on behalf of his grandfather, who has said he hopes to stay alive long enough to vote for Harris.

12. Songbird

Every time Hakeem plays Alliteration Game, take a drink.

Draft saved Draft deleted