1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2024 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 2, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He said this morning that he teed off because he saw a pink shirt on the green and thought it was Horschel, meaning the fairway was clear. Yet if it's dark -- dark enough to quit a couple minutes later -- can you really pick out a pink shirt from 400+ yards away?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As opposed to the insufferable assholes who needed more than 5:30 to play a round of golf? Like the winner?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

156 yards out today on a par 3. My tee shot takes one bounce, hits the flagstick, then settles about five feet to the right. Made the birdie, but damn, that's by far the closest I've ever had to an ace. I make very few birdies, so that circle 2 was nice to see on the scorecard.

MileHigh, qtlaw, playthrough and 4 others like this.
  4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Trump counts that as a 1.

Cosmo likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Or, at the very least, picks it up and takes it birdie.

Five foot putt? That’s good.

6. playthrough

FedEx Cup silliness szn. It's not a playoff and it's a lousy "season-long points race." Scheffler's reward for kicking everyone's ass all year will be a two-shot lead in the finale. Rory finished T68 in a 70-man field this week yet he's gonna keep advancing.

It's not worth the hassle to get worked up over it anymore but I still do.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd say that 7ish years ago, PGA golf was my second favorite sport to watch. I haven't watched golf all summer, and turned on the TV and asked myself, "Who is Nick Dunlap?"

And he's second in the playoff today.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The PGA picked up on NASCAR's stupid Chase and tried to emulate it because both sports get their ratings butts kicked by football in the fall. Neither one is ultimately a good way to determine a champion in an individual sport. You can't have a World Series/Super Bowl/Stanley Cup Final if there are more than two teams on the field at the same time, influencing the result.

But as long as FedEx wants to pony up the bucks, I guess we're stuck. Wish they'd vary the championship site, though. East Lake is OK but why not rotate it around to other regions of the country? (Yeah, $$$ I know $$$ the reason for that $$$ as well.)

9. playthrough

Yep, completely stuck with FedEx and Coca-Cola. At least one event is rotated, though I still say the Western Open belongs in Illinois. And everyone off my lawn.

Under the early incarnations of the playoffs, Scheffler wouldn't even have had to show up until the finale. Or he could have had it clinched before then. But all the tweaking to ensure participation (read: placating sponsors and TV) has turned this into just a mishmash. I think limiting the field to 70 is an improvement but it's not enough.

Typist Clerk and maumann like this.
  10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First amateur since Mickelson in 1991 to win on the PGA Tour. Turned pro the next week. You're welcome.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is no really competitively fair way to have a "playoff" for a season in an individual sport. Scheffler was very good on this earlier this week, noting that the playoffs were absurd as is but that he sure didn't have any better ideas. IMO the Tour Championship's handicap system is horrible and pathetic and makes for poor spectating, but hell, handicaps are a sure part of golf and have been part of every competition in my low level of golf I've even been in. So it beats me. Maybe the FedEx Cup is just a dumb idea.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

At least Castle Pines and milkshakes get back into the mix for one week out of 10 so it will be nice to be back at elevation for the first time in a decade.

Draft saved Draft deleted