1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Speaking of labor, in a shocking (SHOCKING!) twist, Sean O'Brien has not been asked to speak this week.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bless em.

I honestly don't personally care what any given one does or doesn't believe in. Or what they do, even when they are full of shit or corrupt.

I do have a problem when all of us are effectively put on the hook for any corruption, though. When that happens my problems would be with the politicians that do their bidding for their contribution, not with the unions or their leaders themselves.

Just as businesses don't get crony preferences if you don't have a government and politicians that are empowered to give it to them at all of our expense.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have zero idea what that means.

Spartan Squad and franticscribe like this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Put on the hook” means in many cases people receiving government services.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Government unfortunately always chooses winners and losers. If you hate the way the game is played, play it yourself and be a force for change.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“Did you guys vet all the people standing behind him?”

Secret Service: “Shit.”

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not when it comes to labor unions, at least that isn't what I had in mind.

I think people should collectively bargain if they actually have negotiating leverage and it benefits them. It's rational. I also think that when people don't have the leverage to get what they want by collectively bargaining, politicians who unions have in the bag shouldn't be empowered to legislate in a way that gives them the leverage they don't naturally have. That puts everyone else on the hook (what I meant) for what I view as a coercive system of legalized corruption in this country. It's actually cost this country a ton, driving large manufacturing sectors away over decades, one by one.

Union leaders themselves? I don't care if they "believe" in collective bargaining (although I don't see much of a belief there, it's an action. Go for it.). They can be as corrupt as many of them have been proven to be, or they can be as pure as Ivory Snow. It shouldn't impact on me either way. You negotiate for yourself and you either have leverage (like unique skills that can't be replaced) or you don't (and you can be replaced by lots of other people who are agreeable to working for less). That's how life goes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2024
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of wish O'Brien was speaking at the DNC. Tough to crack that primetime line-up though.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

NYT: Why the DNC is bad for Biden.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Unions get a bad name because when corruption happens, it’s more in your face (lazy, poor workmanship, kick backs).

Right To Work doesn’t get the blame it deserves because it’s hard for many people to see the corruption (billionaires keeping healthcare from people).

Draft saved Draft deleted