1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2024 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 2, 2024.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Are those milkshakes that the public can have or like Memorial milkshakes that you're not having pretty much unless you're playing?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Spieth, needing a top 10, gets it -- in the bottom 10. Off to surgery. Disastrous season.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Public can have. Hope to have one Sunday, but it's been a sellout down there for weeks.

playthrough likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Let's talk about how Virginia's own Lauren Coughlin is probably playing the best golf in the world right now, at least on the female side. Love it for her.

misterbc, playthrough and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

He needs a reset. Whether that's physical or mental (or both), he's a mess. He's a poster child for having a tremendous natural repeatable swing -- and could putt the daylights out -- before he was convinced he needed a swing coach.

Or, it could be lingering PTSD from 2016 at Augusta. He really hasn't been the same golfer since that meltdown.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    MileHigh likes this.
  6. playthrough

Next job is to help get the Solheim Cup back.

Cosmo likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He won The Open in 2017 right?

maumann likes this.
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In a serious slump right now, hitting it great off the tee, can't even envision a decent iron approach, whether its a GW - 5 iron. Its killing me right now but I've got to find the breakthrough somehow. Went from high 70's/low 80's every time out to high 80's every day; if you don't putt for birdies, I can't get low. Golf is so mental.

maumann likes this.
  9. John

John Well-Known Member

The thing that sometimes helps me when I'm in a rut is to make myself to hit a club that I wouldn't normally hit from, say, 150. Instead of a full 8, hit more of a 3/4 7 or something like that. Having to get creative and think about shots in a different way helps me get out of the this yardage/this club routine. Sometimes I'll take the odd or even clubs out of my bag for a round, thus forcing myself to approach a lot of shots in a different way. Might be worth a try.

I Should Coco, maumann and qtlaw like this.
  10. playthrough

Best thing I did for my game was to add multiple hybrids. I developed the iron yips years ago, I could not take a full swing and return the face square to the ball. Yet no yips with woods. So I started adding hybrids and didn't stop -- I now have 3-, 4-, 5- and 7-hybrids. If I have a 150-yard shot over water, I don't fear it anymore, it's the 7-hybrid. I joke that I'm on my way to a bag with 14 headcovers. That's not for everyone but I'm enjoying the game so much more now and am close to playing my best golf since my 20s.

And no pictures on the scorecard -- Freddie played the Boeing Classic two weeks ago with a driver, 3-wood, 5-wood and 4-, 5-, 6-hybrids. The Tour took an Instagram video of him and he said "I'm loving life, they're gonna get me through these three days."

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can still hit my irons OK, but TBH for any halfway difficult shot it's the 3 wood or 5-wood. The irons are for when I want to be like 10-20 yards short and have it roll/bounce to the green.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have a 3 and 4 hybrid and hit them well so I love hybrids.

problem is my ball striking regardless of whether it’s a 5 or a PW which is a serious issue. I think I’m casting the club and am too loose so I’ve gonna try to tighten it up and see if that solves the issue.

13. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The most important distance in golf -- the six inches between the ears.

misterbc and qtlaw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted