1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There's a very serious shortage of commercial pilots. Airlines are having a bitch of a time attracting and retaining qualified pilots. It looks to me like they partnered up with a pilot school to put together a career training program that they hope can funnel newly FAA certified pilots right into their company.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The shortage isn’t quite as bad now as it was pre-Covid, but there’s still a problem. Many airlines have rolled back their cadet programs and slowed down their military transitions.

I’d love to do it post-retirement, but I’d simply be trading one job where I’ve missed half my kids’ lives for another where’s I’d miss the rest.

Pass.

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah but think how much it would be to deal with the general public while they travel? Just the best people …

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Adding to the pilot shortage: Several airlines, including Alaska, trying to upgrade some of its aircraft (such as from the old prop jets to embraer e175s for mid-range flights). New pilots are only trained on the new aircraft, making it a scheduling challenge for routes still using the older planes.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

Gold Bars Are Worth a Million Dollars for the First Time

A 400 ounce bar w/ the spot price of gold above $2500 currently. ... will cost you more than $1 million USD now.

I always find milestones like this interesting, because most people are like, "Wow, a million dollars," like the million dollars is anywhere near as meaningful as it was 10 or 20 years ago.

What I always see is, "Look at how much less the dollar is worth now. That sucks."

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Try explaining that to a bunch of rural high school kids.
    "Do you think you will be able to retire on a million in savings?"
    "Oh, yeah. I'd never had to work. I'd be rich."
    "No, you won't be able to, and no, you wouldn't be rich."

7. The Big Ragu

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They have to celebrate finally paying off their $35,000 wedding.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

Doubt it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

According to the Innerwebs, a four-day park hopper pass in 2000 cost $176 per adult and $167 per kid. That's $686 per prototypical family of four. That's just to get in the doors, not including airfare, hotel, food and souvenirs.

In 1990, it was $110 and $88 or $396 per family of four.

You don't think people were going into credit card debt for those trips? Really!?!

Hell, I just - technically - went into debt for two nights in Dallas. I say "technically" because it's on my Amex and will be paid off as soon as the statement arrives.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My wife and I took the kids to Disneyland (CA) last year. That included cross-country airfare for four, two nights at a hotel in Anaheim right outside the park entrance, and all meals and souvenirs.

We came in at around $7K. We didn’t go into debt because we saved specifically for that trip for about five years.

Draft saved Draft deleted