1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between the tan suit and trotting out Tony Goldwyn and Kerry Washington as "hosts" this week (considering they played a white president having an affair with a black associate on a show called SCANDAL) I can only figure the Harris camp is in troll mode this week - and I am HERE for it.

But honestly, having Biden speak past midnight ET was a disgrace. Jam as many people you want in the 8-9 slot, but keep them brief. 9-10 you build toward the big speaker who hits the stage no later than 10 pm ET (and even then, its best to end by 10:40 p.m. so the networks can spend 20 minutes saying how awesome the night was. Start turning up the speed on the teleprompter if you have to, or do edits on the fly. It was like the Hall of Fame induction speeches. People complain about Oscar winners getting played off, but having the band play off a speaker who isn't really killing it isn't a bad idea.

I don't know if we give Trump credit for this - but I LIKE the nominees being in the arena throughout the convention in their own box. The dated idea of the nominee staying away until their nomination speech is dumb considering the days of floor fights are dead and gone. Is it supposed to be like not seeing the bride until wedding day? I realize that in the past, potential nominees just holed up in a hotel room and had their operatives whipping votes in state delegations - but that was pretty much done by 1960. The only exception would be if the candidate did a caravan to the convention to drum up interest in the hinterlands.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fukc that bigoted Nazi supporting POS:

WSJ sez Musk loans to buy Xitter the worst deal since 2009.

Tesla semi crash in the Sierra shuts I-80 as batteries burn and burn.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been noted elsewhere but I'm also sure that was a feature not a glitch.

If he manages a good speech, than you have some nice clips for TV. If he doesn't, it's quickly down the memory hole.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The first one's not true, the second one doesn't matter one damn bit to anything.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Every example he cites is "Trump walked it back" or "he didn't exactly say that" or "he was kidding." The most weakest fact check I've ever seen.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Democrats have a history of this. George McGovern gave his speech at 2 in the morning because of bullshit over parliamentary inquiries, etc.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When even NPR goes all in on shade. (Link does not paste here because of course it doesn’t.)

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Facts are a bitch, aren't they Brooklyn?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Tim Walz looks exactly like I would if I randomly got picked to run on a Presidential ticket. The look of "Holy fuck I'm here" on his face is a combination of pure joy and trying to memorize everything so you never forget it. I noticed they steered away from saying "weird" in speeches last night. I wonder if that is by design to give that one to Walz on Wednesday night.

Also, after doing standup for 10 years and running an opening mic that averaged 40 comics a week, these people need to be held to seven minutes with a red light flashing them in the final minute. When you hit seven, the red light stays on and if you keep droning on the music starts. I don't mind Hillary or Biden going long obviously, but anyone who isn't an A-lister should be held to a time limit.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
Draft saved Draft deleted