1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No, I am certain people were not going into debt for Disney trips at anywhere near the rate they are today in 1990. Not anything close to 45 percent of people making that trip, and not even within 10 zipcodes of the price tag that story said they are spending now.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

We took a $4K trip to Disney World a few years ago. We did not go into debt for it. We took a $4,500 Disney cruise in December. We did not go into debt for it.

We're taking a $7,500 cruise on Icon of the Seas next year. We are not going into debt for it. It's not that hard to save for a trip if you know you're doing it far enough out.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Disney saw a quarterly profit increase thanks to its streaming service becoming profitable for the first time and a couple of blockbuster movies (Deadpool).

It saw a dip in parks revenue, mainly due to high prices and people pulling back on discretionary spending. A price adjustment will likely be made if that continues.

Free market, personal choice, personal responsibility. Etc.

4. The Big Ragu

Streaming doesn't earn Disney anywhere near what its theme parks earn.

The cure for high prices is high prices. But it's difficult to offer the same experience and lower prices when your operating expenses have risen more than 18 percent in 3 years.

Maybe if someone calls them out for "gouging." Or a politician can just forgive the debt people incur.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That $686 is a great deal since the 1990 total should be $953 today, according to the fed inflation calculator.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

People inclined to put vacations on their credit cards have always existed. They just didn't get sympathetic coverage in the past.

Dog8Cats and Driftwood like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I am hugely sympathetic to families facing tight budgets and rising costs in almost any area. But under no circumstances is a Disney vacation not a luxury. Your kids won’t be hopelessly scarred by hearing “no.”

8. Inky_Wretch

But it's another indicator of how the Fed has completely debased on the dollar and a warning sign of the impending economic collapse (buy bullets and canned foods). Go back to the gold standard unless you hate your children!

Slacker and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We were at Disney in '79 or '80. I ordered a PB&J in Frontierland. It came on raisin bread. I took one bite and tossed it into a lake next to Mike Fink's keel boat. The sandwich cost probably $5-6 back then.
    My dad was PIIIIIIIISSSSSED.

10. The Big Ragu

I know you are really invested in trying to convince me that things are no different than they ever have been. You brought up 1990. There was less than $250 billion in credit card debt in the U.S. in 1990. Today, it's more than $1.1 trillion.

Savings have fallen off a cliff during that time, too. ... while overall debt has exploded higher. A story like that is just not a matter of "They just didn't get sympathetic coverage in the past." 45 percent of people going to Disney did not indebt themselves to do it in the past, let alone to the degree they need to to take that trip today. It's just not the case.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's almost like decades of Republican tax policy and outsourcing manufacturing jobs crippled the American middle class!

12. Inky_Wretch

I just think this article says more about the lengths parents will go to spoil their kids rather than the overall economy. See also: Travel ball, sweet sixteen parties, senior trips, dorm decorating.

Draft saved Draft deleted