1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentaries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deskgrunt50, Jan 1, 2024.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Man, I need to watch that Pete Rose one. Saw the clip where they asked him at what point did he "cross over" and make the decision that it was now OK for him to bet on baseball, and he sort of low-key snapped on the interviewer. That is a bad person, and I have zero issue with keeping him out of the Hall.

Intrigued by the "murder of Steve McNair" one that's coming out soon. Fascinating story.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm excited about that one, too. If it's the same documentary, our paper made a quick $1,000 by licensing them a 30-year-old file photo that'll probably be on screen for about five seconds.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's the normal progression for Pete:

1) I didn't do it (unconvincingly)
    2) I didn't do it very much
    3) Nobody told me it was wrong
    4) everybody else does it
    5) it's really not a big deal
    6) it was a long time ago
    7) OK, I did it, I did it a lot, but that's because I'm the Hit King, I do what I want

Last edited: Jul 26, 2024
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Coming soon:
    8.) I actually did steroids but so did everyone else

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I just watched the “Brats” doc, in which Andrew McCarthy spends 90 minutes asking people, “I was good, right? We were good?”

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Watched the E60/ESPN+ doc on Armando Galarraga and the bungled perfect game. Well done, with a lot of talking heads -- including Jim Joyce himself, to his credit.

There was a good point by a professor at Monmouth U., who used the case as part of his curriculum. He compared it to George Brett's pine tar game and how that was eventually overturned by MLB a day or so later.

With the Brett overturn as precedent, should the same have happened with Galarraga?

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Nope. The spirit of the rules at the time and then are still the spirit of the rules. Safe-out calls remain an ump's discretion. Replay fortunately as a large result of this kick has changed this.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

American Son, latest 30 for 30, the Michael Chang story. Well told story about growing up Asian in US in 80’s and how we were looked upon as bookworms but not athletes.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jim Henson would have had his first Muppets do a murder-suicide on air if it moved another case of coffee.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Tigers still won that game. Unless they'd played the rest of it under protest and the blown call led to the Indians coming back to win, I can't see a reason why MLB would overturn it. History or not.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s so incredible to watch this stuff now.

Draft saved Draft deleted