1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If it was as “fun” as people say it was, they’ve come a long way since the last time they tried to appear hip:

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

1996 started some of the worst music and fashion trends. Grunge was dead. Fashion was trending towards excessively baggy and bland colors. Cheers was off and Friends was on. Hey remember Furrbies? WTF were we doing?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Still a better dancer than Trump.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Boo to you, mister!

(Slips on headphones, hits ‘play’ on “Hot” by Squirrel Nut Zippers)

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Honestly, Ska was one of the few rays of light at that time. I still pull up some Reel Big Fish from time to time.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

When I saw Kiss perform in 1990, the typical garb for female audience members were stiletto heels, leather mini-skirts and push-up bras. When I attended Lollapalooza last year, the girls were wearing shawls and clogs. Anyone who feels this is a legitimate improvement should not be going to concerts. Go home and read Beowulf.

Chuck Klosterman - Zen and The Art of Yngwie

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Roll Call is always my favorite bit of the conventions. The speeches are shorter, (in some cases better) maybe you learn some trivia and you see regular folks. Loved Lil Jon, Loved Sean Astin, Loved Wendell Pierce. Hell, Was half-expecting Michael Buffer to make an appearance. LOVED Justin Pearson of the Tennessee Three's speech - he even hit the chorus of 9 to 5 perfectly.

I liked the "virtual roll call" they did in 2020 with each state getting to show off something (the chef on the beach!) - but this will be hard to top. Wouldn't mind if states try upping their game a bit for 2024 though.

Wasn't impressed with my state's effort, but it wasn't a train wreck (looking at you Wisconsin). Some of the "regular people" totally outclassed the politicians. (Honestly, don't some of these people get enough screen time already? Do they NEED to gobble up the ONE chance some average person might get a little attention? I was hoping Gavin Newsom would say, "Hey, we're going to let California Love breath a bit here if that's ok with everybody?."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s also impossible to know anyone’s circumstances unless you were there. I don’t know. Maybe they’ve discussed it? I wasn’t aware if it came out in 2020 VP vetting.

I find this to be the same as when people went after Joe Biden for Hunter’s drug addiction. Attacking marriage issues (and addiction issues) isn’t the “gotcha” they want it to be. Because so many people have been there and experienced the pain. Either directly or indirectly.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
    OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you were saying this. ... But I don't think any of them owe me anything. Him, his wife, the woman he got pregnant. It's all none of my business, and the only reason I know about it is that he's a public figure (as opposed to my neighbor who is probably having a torrid relationship with a couch as I type this while I remain blissfully unaware).

I was just goofing on the "He'she kind of guy women dream about!" thing. The getting-the-kids' teacher-pregnant-while-cheating-on-the-wife thing was a hanging curveball. :)

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I mean, he's a former cast member on MTV's Road Rules. That puts him on almost as equal footing as Cronkite.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

garrow, Deskgrunt50 and TowelWaver like this.
  12. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

A guy on archive.org put up about a dozen of his ska/swing/punk shows from 1997-98 that he did on Marshall University's radio station. This was THE point when I was into ska/swing as a junior/senior at UConn, so these are some special shows to hear. Spring Heeled Jack, The Scofflaws, Save Ferris ... I miss those days ...

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted