1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'll not stand for this Less Than Jake erasure.

2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was a weird kid by nature and nurture. Having a grandfather who was a trumpet player, I grew up on Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, polkas and big band jazz. I played trumpet in junior high and marched in the high school band for four years (Still have my silver Blessing ML-1 and gold Denis Wick mouthpiece). One of the things we did in high school when we had drivers licenses and cars was, over Christmas break, head to the Shadyside section of Pittsburgh to the Balcony jazz club to check out the house big band on Monday nights. My college roommate was a DJ at the college radio station, did a jazz show and I we got into a bunch of shows as a result. So, when ska came out it was grunge with a horn section and I was all in.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Yup. High school and college band geek here too (euphonium). For me, not only was it ska, but the swing revival was a big deal. Royal Crown Revue, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy ... they all were in the 5-disc changer back then. And they still are heard, though now in my YouTube music library.

And @Regan MacNeil ... Dope Man is a great song by them.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2024
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I graduated high school in 1978. One year our reunion committee hired a dj whose knowledge of 70s music was disco. Lots and lots of disco.

maumann likes this.
  6. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

matt_garth, garrow, Dog8Cats and 3 others like this.
  7. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I would have bet on Alma posting that link.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Polymarket showed the odds shifting slightly in favor of Trump earlier this week (he remains at 52 percent, she's at 47 percent).

I don't know about clickbait or about crypto bros, but it is the largest betting market, and it has him with a slight advantage at the moment in something that suggests a neck in neck race.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do hope both parties take note that if they are able to put on an entertaining show, keep things moving, keep the undercard speeches tight, and even the major speeches on a leash, and create great television - non-political people just might watch. They also might consider putting a musical bed underneath some of the speakers - it really seemed to help the roll call.

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  10. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Betting markets are just as susceptible to whom their demographic is as any other body is.

I doubt those who put a future bet down on the presidential race are very representative of the electorate at-large.

When it's a bunch of crypto bros - many of whom skew MAGA - so much more so.

Edit: And for the record? I don't doubt that RFK Jr. dropping out helps Trump. The devil in the details is whether Harris has already received the bump some of RFK Jr.'s Democrat support would provide. All of RFK Jr.'s support isn't automatically transferred to Trump.

gingerbread likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trumpet, euphonium … I played sax and drums. SJ Band Nerds, assemble!

UPChip, tea and ease, garrow and 5 others like this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Betting markets represent people who are willing to put money on the line. If you are wrong, you lose your money, which is what creates the incentives that make them worth looking at. That doesn't mean betting odds are always entirely predictive of the thing people are willing to bet on, but 1) people try to not lose their money when they risk it, and 2) the reason betting on an event (such as a sporting event) sometimes results in odds that completely miss the mark is that there are elements of randommess or luck to the outcome in sporting events. In the case of the election, that isnt in play. There's a binary choice, people settle on a candidate over time, and voters in the aggregate can't somehow inadvertantly fumble their vote at the one yard line. At any given time, a pool of bettors presumably represents what the "crowd" is observing in voter sentiment.

Draft saved Draft deleted