1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’d be curious to see how many people betting on trump also invested in his worthless piece of shit social media site.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Probably all of them. Clearly, only the 50 percent or so of people betting on Harris winning are prudent with their money.

gingerbread likes this.
  3. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Exactly right.

However, unlike sports betting, which has a shit ton of crossover from fan to bettor, the person willing to bet on politics is nothing like the width and breadth of an electorate.

So I won't be using betting markets as any kind of barometer for a political race. It's interesting, but nothing like definitive. And in the way Forbes lazily and cynically used a minimal amount of data to get clicks, it's to be dismissed.

And while I'm on that soap box, it would be nice if sports entities would cool it on the betting line-being-definitive too.

I'm not telling you anything you don't know, Ragu, but not all betting demographics are the same in sports either. For example, if you get a team with a large fanbase, say, Kentucky basketball, playing against a team which a much smaller one, what do the oddsmakers want? They want action to be roughly 50-50 so they set their lines accordingly. They won't get that 50-50-ish split if you have a bunch of homer Kentucky fans betting for their team on a legitimate line, so the odds are skewed a skosh to sway some of the action, not necessarily as a reflection of what might actually occur in the game itself.

gingerbread, HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Not something I said but OK. Sure, trump can win. It’s going to be close. But it could be like putting money on Rory on the Sunday of a major.

Just because it’s their money doesn’t mean they aren’t morons.

playthrough likes this.
  5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I tend to put more faith in Polymarket and Predictit than polls because as Ragu says money is involved. I have no doubt Harris will win the popular vote but the electoral vote could be very close. Harris is leading in the general election question but not necessarily in the key swing states, and that will still determine the outcome.

Lots of people still think Trump will be better for their bank accounts and that is a key element in why they overlook all of his nonsense and hate speech.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Which is why you are very curious about how many of the people betting on Harris are morons.

7. Deskgrunt50

I said I would be curious. So maybe back the fuck off.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It does no good to cheer for betting markets when it favors your candidate and trash them when it reverses. Just like all the people who swore the polls were trash from January-June are all about the numbers now that Harris has pulled ahead.

9. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Keyboards and trumpet, here. When's the jam session?

gingerbread and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So, SJ.com meet up at Bands of America Grand Nationals or some shit?

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

garrow and TowelWaver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted