1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Mets 1, Orioles 0 in the third with Sean Manaea and Cole Irvin on the mound.

Not exactly brimming with confidence here.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Was I the only one watching that circus last night when the Mets' leftfielder missed a catch and about three Orioles scored while New York threw the ball around the park for 10 seconds? Geez, can't imagine how anyone could stay a Mets fan and not go postal at some point. And that's coming from a guy who has watched Detroit lose 100-plus games seven times since 1996, including 2003.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Don't look now, but the starting pitcher tonight for the Angels in K.C. is scheduled to be ......... Johnny Cueto.

The Angels continue to try to rebuild through the waiver wire.

Also, you and I combined are only one homer behind the output of Anthony Rendon (0) and Brandon Drury (1). Drury's recent hot streak raised his batting average to .162, But it fell back to .159 after his sterling performance last night in which he hit into a double play then struck out 4 times in a game that the Angels got 9 runs and 11 hits. Last week he hit a double, which was his first extra-base hit since May.

Liut likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's crazy that even with his usual time on the IL, Rendon has not lucked into a home run in 159 at bats. I heard he hit one to the warning track last night in KC that would have been a HR in Anaheim.

And I don't understand why they are wasting at bats on Drury. Let the kids play.

5. ChrisLong

That is what the Angels announcers are resorting to: "That would have been a homer in Anaheim." I think that was the best-hit ball Rendon has had all season, resulted in a sac fly.

Jack Lopez, who is another non-talent from the minors, had a remarkable squeeze bunt last night, probably the best performance of his career. The pitch was heading for his front foot, but as he fell backward, he got the bat on the ball and made a perfect bunt. He ended up on his back in the dirt. Adell's timing was good running from third.

The Angels remember Lopez from a walkoff hit against the Dodgers in the last game of the preseason Freeway Series. I remember him from the last three games in Arizona when he struck out for the final out all three times.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well then.
    That turned quickly.

7. jr/shotglass

Wasn't expecting that from Austin Slater ... an inning earlier, he was clocked at 96.5 mph throwing out Pete Alonso from left, too.

8. jr/shotglass

Fucking Kimbrel.

He simply cannot get MLB hitters out any longer.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Johnny was still playing.

10. ChrisLong

Four starts at AAA Salt Lake this season.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

This x 10. And no losing streak longer than 3 games.

While I’m appreciative of what Counsell did (and Stearns) in building the Brewers into a consistent playoff contender, I’ve enjoyed watching this team so much more than the previous 4-5 seasons. When they get down 2-3 runs in the early innings, I no longer feel the game is essentially over. Active on the base paths and moving runners over is fun to watch and can actually work, who would’ve thought?

Irony is that Murphy is the runaway choice for NL Manager of the Year in his first season, after Counsell was snubbed so many times before.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When you're starting guys the kings of the bargain basement, the Giants, have passed on, you know it's been a long season.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted