1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week Zero Thread: Give Ireland Back to the Irish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Aug 19, 2024.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Or "Screw You, NCAA, We're Making Money This Week Thanks to TeeVee Revenue" week.

I'd rather see that than Week 0

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought this was how they cleaned up that mess that developed in the 1980s and 90s? We used to have a random smattering of college games from about mid-August until early September, then they finally killed all of those. Week Zero creeped in to take its place, but at least it's organized.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I remember a few neautral site games, usually in East Rutherford or Anaheim or Tampa or something and it was always confusing when the season actually started.

Batman likes this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think virtually every action an HBCU tales is to chase extra dollars. Given their 'place at the bottom of the funding pole in every state where they exist and the fact their students generally come less affluent backgrounds than the Big State U's they have to chase every dollar.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the financial pressures that the House settlement will lead to a longer season and more televised games in August, when competition from the NFL is less intense. The television revenues would accrue mostly to the Power Four schools that can already afford to pay the House settlement and not the other schools in Division 1 that can not afford. But that is college football in the 21st century.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Right. But I wonder if DSU isn’t losing money on this trip. I doubt Hawaii pays that much more than the average G5 program looking for a rent-a-victim game.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Just wondering: How big is Delaware's football traveling party? 100 or so? I know that airport is busy and schedules are important, but why didn't they hold the plane for a group that big? Did the plane leave with that many empty seats?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, when you fly Allegiant or Frontier …

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Bobcats. Sharpie.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wait, New Mexico is a nine-point dog to a FCS team?

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Honest to God, I've had actual adults come up to me and wonder why we haven't driven our motorhome to Hawaii. Because we have one of those plastic maps with the places we've been, and Hawaii's not colored in.

"You know, we were all the way to California when the Hawaii State Police called and said the other end of the bridge was closed for the weekend."

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Bronco's got his work cut out for him; the talent in that program is minimal to put it kindly.

Draft saved Draft deleted