1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Brewers fans are the first ones I’ve seen happy on this thread in weeks.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know I'm gettin' really discouraged here. Brandon Hyde needs to settle my ass down.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I posted a quick response about the Royals' rotation earlier. Their starters have been solid so far, it is difficult to trust them the rest of the way.

Ragans has been excellent since he moved into the rotation last season, but he threw only 96 innings in 2023. He is already at 151 in 2024 and his velocity hasn't been the same the last month or so. You also have to wonder how far they want to push it with a 26-year-old with that upside who is so early in his career.

That isn't a concern with Seth Lugo, who is 34, but he had never thrown even 102 innings in a season before reaching 146 in 2023. He is well past that career-high with 166 innings. He shut down a crappy Angels' lineup in his last outings, but the two starts before that were ugly.

After that, they have Brady Singer and Michael Wacha. Do those names inspire trust?

Liut likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm glad the Blue Jays didn't throw him out there for a token appearance. he gets to be a one-team guy and it didn't delay his Hall of Fame clock by a year for a handful of meaningless at-bats.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

From a neutral observer's standpoint (the Tigers can only be a spoiler for the next five weeks), every team expecting to make the postseason has at least one serious flaw.

Several have awful bullpens. Several have key injuries. Several have no rotation depth. Several are just playing poorly right now. I could make a case for any of them going the distance or getting flattened in the wild card series.

I can't think of a season where there's not at least one consensus pick to make the World Series. It could be any of the 12 playoff teams, depending on how things shake out. For goodness sake, the Astros started the season 7-19 at one point and because the AL West is so bad, they've blown by everyone.

If you held 12 postseasons, you probably could get a different winner every time.

Liut likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fun fight between fans at the Twins-Padres game last night. The guy in the white T-shirt had a plan until he got hit in the mouth. The guy in the black T-shirt's plan was to hit the guy in the white T-shirt in the mouth. Repeatedly.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Twins escape a bases-loaded, 29-pitch first inning and have poured it on the Padres tonight. 10-0 in the 5th. Twins need to have a low stress night for the bullpen since two different pitchers have coughed up leads quickly in the last 3 days.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I just can't blame him.

His options are so limited. You can't hide Kimbrel unless you DFA him. And the two Dominguez walk offs weren't actually bad pitches. The other guy can hit too, right? The Orioles are 8 and fucking 38 when they score three runs or less. I love this team. I've been a fan for almost 40 years at this point. But I don't know what manager could deal with those pitching problems and come out better for it. I was so hopeful early on, but this ain't the year.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yes. he belongs.

And for those who don't think so, they put in Todd Helton, and he's better than him

swingline and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted