1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I like Walz, but I’m nearly his age. I want a younger generation to take up the mantle and keep their boot on the Repubes’ necks.

I would be happy with Walz running and winning — anyone blue and all that — but Pete has the air of inevitability about him, and I think he would be a great president. And I think by then, America might be ready for him.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Inevitability isn’t the right word. I don’t believe in it, but destiny would be a better word. It just feels like 2032 will be his time.

3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Who you got? (Did i do that right?)
    2032 democratic primaries: Pete, Wes Moore, Roy Cooper, Gavin Newsom
    Republicans: Don Junior (for grifting only, but he’ll probably win), Vance, DeSantis, Cruz, dog shooter, either Florida senator;
    The republican primary would be affected by whoever lost to Kamala in 2028 (unless Don Sr)

4. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, guys. Let's get through 2024 first. You've got a Kentucky Derby field of horses ahead of the cart.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Cooper will be 75. That's a no-go, and we have no idea what he's going to do after being governor. I don't even know if he's a good candidate for VP at that point

I'd put Shapiro in that spot. Jefferies has a chance if he gets to be Speaker before then and can flex his muscles.

Republican side -- Vance has no chance if they lose now. That albatross won't go away despite his age. Rick Scott's out as a Florida choice, he'll be 79 then. The dog thing eliminates Noem Even Republicans hate Cruz.

Tom Cotton will be one. Hawley strikes me as someone who will give it a shot. Kemp might try as an anti-Trump option. If Youngkin either stays governor or moves up he'll be one

Last edited: Aug 22, 2024
    Fred siegle likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don’t think the parties look anything like they do now if the Trump threat is vanquished. Many of the fissures in the Democratic party currently held together by fear of a Trump return will open wide.

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I don’t necessarily think this is a bad thing, because this campaign has been a reminder of the common purpose that brings the party together. I’m actually fine to go back to the internecine fighting if it comes from a position of strength and is underpinned by the basic values that Walz spoke of last night. The party needs to not be a place for people who are in it for themselves, and it needs leadership that understands how to redirect that urge.

And as a former Republican voter, I’m OK with a GOP that is led by adults. Pandering to assholes, unfortunately, was effective in a world where Democrats forgot their common purpose. It’s time to stop the “we need an outsider” bullshit and understand that leadership is an actual skill and restore some respect for it.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

prolly not yet

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Then I think they’re going to be left behind this cycle. The swing voters who don’t get into the weeds on policy aren’t in it for culture war stuff (or else they’d have picked a side). They’re repulsed by everything that’s defined this era. If one side offers what looks like an exit out I think they seize that, assuming the economy doesn’t have a sudden crash 2008-style.

Vance is probably being undersold for his debate but when has Trump ever looked good in one of these against someone under 80? That’s going to be another heaping helping of angry.

But again, this goes beyond an election and maybe even politics. I just think there’s a decisive majority forming to say “enough” to the trench warfare era.

maumann likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"That's not my dad." Barron at a Trump speech

Twirling Time likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That time he banged Stormy.

dixiehack and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted