1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was trying to think of a "way back" for the GOP post-Trump. If its after this election, I don't see GOP politicians finally growing a spine unless their voters demand it. Rather, I think the courts will suddenly get less friendly to him. He no longer gets special treatment and he ends up cutting a deal and just going away.
    Don't know what happens with the vacuum of leadership in the party. Mike Johnson seems to have struck some balance between getting the nuts and bolts stuff done and letting the nutjobs have their fishing expeditions in their committee. John Thune is likely to be the next Republican Senate leader. Thune is a decent place to start.
    Part of the problem with the GOP is that Trump gobbles up so much of the attention, you really don't hear many other voices from within the party. Biden did the same for too long as well. Its one of the reasons the DNC has been such a revelation to people. You don't need to fill a convention with long speeches if you can bring speaker, after speaker, after speaker to the podium. Looking forward to Justin Pearson tonight. One of the things that kind of sucks for the Dems is they have some very strong people in very red states. I do hope Harris, Jeffries and Schumer "encourage" some of the long on the tooth Dems to make way for the new generation.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I voted mostly Republican or Libertarian until Trump announced in 2015. When he actually got the nomination, I said I’d never vote Republican again. And I haven’t.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

She’s of no consequence, there’s a greater cause to be served.

Book of Peter T, chapter 7, verse 4

OscarMadison and gingerbread like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Grew up in a right-leaning family, coming of age with Reagan. My parents aren't super-duper MAGA, but they still lean right.

I'm a registered independent since moving here 20 years ago. I still split my vote based on candidate/ballot measure, but I also read and research a lot. I voted for the blue governor in 2022, but the red SOS candidate. Biden in 2020, left POTUS choice blank in 2016. Obama twice, but would have been just fine with Romney in 2012.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

True. I hereby withdraw my votes from 2008 and 2012.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That's more thought about politics in one post than I've probably personally thought in two months.
    With NHL camps opening in a month, it'll likely be even less.

ChrisLong likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Janos won in ‘98. Served his one term, did a lot of other stuff afterward and has spent time hanging out in the Baja.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Grew up in a dyed-in-the-wool Democratic household*, and nothing in my adult experience shook me from those values, so the one and only time I voted GOP was in 2012. Voted for Richard Lugar in the primary to block Richard Mourdock from getting the Republican nomination for Senate because he was a repugnant sign of things to come.

Had no problem doing it. Lugar was an honorable man. Of course he lost, but so did Mourdock in the general election. Unfortunately, that later begot Mike Braun, a dickhead of epic proportion.

* I wonder, though, what my political background would have been had my Mom lived beyond my 12th birthday? To this day, the only living president I saw (other than when I passed George W. Bush's motorcade on the opposite side of the interstate in Indy once ... yeah I flipped him off) was when Gerald Ford came to Milwaukee in 1976 and she went to see the spectacle of it. Her family is more conservative than my Dad's very liberal family is, some bordering on Trumpy, some of them not conservative at all and as liberal as my other relatives.

I think that duality forms my own political beliefs. Mostly liberal, but not slavishly and certainly not ideologically rigid, and I'm not willing to look at reasonable folks with different views as "the enemy". I hate the notion that rises up from both parties, Republicans are worse, but Democrats fall into this trap too, that you're for us or against us. Fuck both of you. I'm for what I'm for. Give me a big tent, even one with ideological disagreement, and I'm in it. Give me a luxury suite where everyone thinks the same and you can have it.

OscarMadison, gingerbread and maumann like this.
  9. Machine Head

Working for RT, as does / did? His son.

I did see a headline this week where the DOJ was looking into Americans who worked for RT?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dunno, I just looked on his Wikipedia page, saw he had done a bunch of stuff, was involved in some lawsuits, and didn’t feel like reading the rest of it.

11. Machine Head

I do hope an ad like that is in the rotation, but sadly, it’s not going to move the needle much imo. How fucked up is that?

12. Machine Head

His kid was a producer I believe.

He had some sort-lived show on there.

Draft saved Draft deleted