1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Or something with Pawwwwwl. She’s on his show on the regular.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

None. Those are done.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Never really liked Wasserman, but I respect his willingness to admit his errors. Specifically, he abandoned his untenable opposition to playoff expansion. No matter how out there an opinion is these days, most national pundits have a hard time admitting error. See Skip Bayless re: LeBron.

Wasserman carved out a national standing with “Stars Matter,” but that hill was overtaken by NIL. HS rankings don’t matter all that much anymore.
    Curious about where he lands. I’m guessing he’s going to be with a gambling site.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Stars would matter if the people doling out the stars were objective observers and not fanboys who root for the team. I went round and round with him about this once on Twitter and, to his credit, he argued his side and it never got personal and didn't do the default Twitter reaction of "He's blocked because his opinion is different than mine."

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

[​IMG]
    NICOLE AUERBACH EXPANDS ROLE WITH NBC SPORTS AS LEAD COLLEGE FOOTBALL AND COLLEGE BASKETBALL INSIDER
    Auerbach Will Also Contribute Digital Content and Co-Host College Sports Podcast for NBC Sports
    STAMFORD, Conn. – August 15, 2024 –
    Nicole Auerbach will return as lead insider on the Big Ten College Countdown football studio show and will expand her role to include multiple college sports across NBC Sports linear and digital platforms, it was announced today.
    “After a great start last season, we look forward to Nicole expanding her insider role to include college basketball, while also adding a podcast and written content as we continue to deliver in-depth college sports coverage across our platforms,” said Sam Flood, Executive Producer and President, NBC Sports Production.
    “It’s a dream come true to work with NBC Sports across all of their college sports platforms,” Auerbach said. “I've always prided myself on my ability to break – and explain – the biggest news while also telling stories about the human side of sports, and NBC Sports is the perfect home for me to do both. I can't wait to get to work.”
    Auerbach, who has covered college football and basketball for numerous outlets since 2011, joined NBC Sports in 2023 as the lead college football insider. She appears weekly on NBC Sports’ Big Ten College Countdown studio show and across college football programming on NBC Sports platforms, providing the latest from the players, coaches and schools that are making news each week.
    In addition to her role on the Big Ten College Countdown studio show, Auerbach will serve as lead insider on NBC Sports’ college basketball coverage, which includes the Big Ten, Big East, and Atlantic 10.
    She will also cover the national college sports landscape in regular columns and in a new podcast for NBC Sports Digital platforms.
    Auerbach will continue her role as a host for SiriusXM.
    NBC Sports’ Big Ten Football package features Big Ten Saturday Night on NBC and Peacock – marking Big Ten Football’s first dedicated weekly primetime game on a national broadcast network.
    Peacock will simulstream all of NBC Sports’ college football games and studio shows airing on the NBC broadcast network this season, including Big Ten Saturday Night and Notre Dame Football home games.
    Peacock’s expansive programming features live coverage of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Premier League, U.S. Women’s and Men’s National Teams soccer matches (in Spanish), Sunday Night Football, Big Ten football and basketball, Notre Dame Football, NASCAR, NTT INDYCAR SERIES, and much more. Peacock also offers daily sports programming on the NBC Sports channel.
    --NBC SPORTS--

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

x.com
    The post announcing her new role.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good for her.

Liut, TigerVols and tapintoamerica like this.
  8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan, it is odd to me that The Athletic has abandoned their captive team podcast and appear to let the host/beat writer go on a different podcast/YouTube feed.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Braves writer David O'Brien started his own pod, too.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There has been an industry wide culling of podcasts within big media properties.

There are as many podcasts in general, but they’re starting to operate more in podcast networks.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have seen that, but I thought that The Athletic has been pretty strong in their podcast quality and it is a real way that they can differentiate themselves from their competition. Using the NY Jets as an example, their Can’t Wait podcast made me more likely to read their Jets content on their app and to interact with their social media content.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My sense is the NYT is going to cut cut cut this product however it can, until the day it says bye bye entirely.

Draft saved Draft deleted