1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Then corporate should find an ice cream machine manufacturer who lets other service techs work on their equipment.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe YF can get into the ice cream machine repair business.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Powell sez "time has come" to reduce interest rates.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How this is bad news for the Dems. etc.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Maybe. I know nothing about it or why they use that specific machine, how locked into those machines they may be and for what reasons, nor do I know how significant soft ice cream sales are for them (which might determine how much of a priority it even is).

Do you know the entire story?

Apparently they are heavily invested in the particular machine they use and copyright law (which they didn't create) makes it illegal to bring in outside service techs.

Beyond that, there is probably a lot more to it than the tweet narrative that is satisfying for some people, but actually made no logical sense if those people actually thought through the narrative.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I linked two stories that provide more depth than the tweets. One of them estimated broken soft serve ice creams result in more than $600 in lost sales per day. Not huge, but every penny helps.

McDonald's certainly has the weight to tell a manufacturer "you want these in every McDonald's? Then you have to open the copyright to allow faster repairs." As far as I've seen, they haven't.

Same thing has been happening with iPhones, ag equipment and even personal automobiles. We just got my wife a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. If - at any point - I so much as get the oil changed any place than the dealer, then the warranty is voided. If a rock hits the windshield on the highway and I call Safelite instead of the dealer, the warranty on the engine is voided even though they never pop the hood.

tea and ease and Driftwood like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

Like I said, what you have seen notwithstanding, I am sure there is a "story" there that is much different than the narrative you want to believe or create yourself. You don't know the partculars of McDonald's relationship with Taylor or what McDonald's has been doing. ... for example, if problems with Taylor machines is the reason why McDonald's has recently started giving franchisees the option to purchase ice cream machines made by Carpigiani instead. ... https://icecream.carpigiani.com/mcdonalds-certification/

I just know that that tweet narrative made no logical sense. It does NOT benefit McDonald's for its franchisees to not be able to sell a product that is on the menu. They share in the revenue.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Ray Kroc got control of McDonald's after trying to sell the McDonald brothers ice cream machines.
    It's all part of the long game.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They define the corporate structure and made the deal with Taylor that has become a burden to the franchisees. I daresay that McDonalds has enough pull to renegotiate that deal or find another supplier if corporate wanted to. Instead, the franchises are stuck with with the Taylor machines, their problems, and the costs associated with them, and are liable to be sued if they attempt any other sort of fix for the problem.

McDonald's ice cream makers do not have to be the butt of jokes of TV comedians and guys being funny on message boards. It's a choice that they are making, both to be the butt of jokes and to lose the sales when the machines are down. The fact that a website exists to track how many of them are broken and where they are located for the convenience of their customers should make it plain that a significant problem exists.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

You have no clue what they are dealing with, but you have a very defined narrative in your head.

McDonald's has a second machine maker that franchisees are now allowed to purchase instead, made by Carpigiani.

You have no clue if they had contractual terms with Taylor that hamstrung them for way longer than they would have liked, before they could effectively deal with the problem.

You have no clue about most of the things regarding that company's operations, their suppliers, why they operate in any specific way or about their relationship with their franchisees. But you have figured out that that they made a "choice" to have ice cream machines that don't work and you embraced a narrative that made no sense about it being their desire to screw its franchisees (in a way that would harm the company financially too!).

You know, sometimes businesses make operations decisions that don't work out the way they want. It's not always a plot.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It does not have to be a plot to be an issue that has existed long enough to become a running joke. Perhaps it is as simple as a bad choice which should have already been addressed.

OTOH, sometimes a deal like this isn't exactly a plot, but there is a clause in the contract where money is kicked back to the corporation, or the corporation holds stock in the supplier and makes a profit on the deal which the franchisees are not privy to.

Draft saved Draft deleted