1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Economy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 14, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

You certainly responded more graciously than I would have. Kudos.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There are lots of ways McDonald's makes money from its franchisees, for example, it owns a boatload of real estate and the franchisees lease the phyiscal locations from McDonald's. It's a profitable aspect of McDonald's business.

This is precisely what you sign up for when you buy a McDonald's franchise. People voluntarily sign up for those franchise agreements and pay millions of dollars and a lot of interested people get rejected by the company. ... because the terms leave meat on the bone for them to profit too from operating the restaurants. If you don't want McDonald's making every tiny decision about how you need to run your restaurant -- including your "kick back" scenario, if that happens -- you don't buy a fast food franchise.

The reality is that you would be hard pressed to find too many operators (especially the large operators) of McDonald's who aren't happy overall with their relationship with the company. There is a long history of the company profiting from being a franchiser and the franchisees profiting the way they expected when they bought their franchise(s).

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I think his brain is melting like a McFlurry machine made by Taylor.

2muchcoffeeman and dixiehack like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Actually, you as a consumer or small business owner deserve to suffer. My column.

2muchcoffeeman and Inky_Wretch like this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FWIW, Sonic's ice machines break down just as frequently as McDonald's ice cream machines. But Sonic franchisees are allowed to use local contractors to repair them - otherwise your Route 44 would be room temperature during Sonic Happy Hour.

Source: Not a "narrative you want to believe or create yourself." But a friend of mine whose sole job is repairing Sonic ice machines in a 90-minute radius.

tea and ease and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

Is ice cream a more integral part of Sonic's business on a relative basis than it is for McDs?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ice =/= Ice Cream

Also, how does McDonalds know how much ice cream it could or could not sell if it hadn’t bought the Yugo of the ice cream industry?

8. The Big Ragu

I’d actually think that would be fairly simple. It wouldn’t be difficult to measure how popular it is when it’s available and how profitable an item it is relative to what it takes to provide it. I think they generally have a good idea of what works in their stores and what doesn’t. I believe they have ways to test what might work in their stores that don’t require them to put things on the menu to find out.

9. Inky_Wretch

Thanks Captain Obvious.

10. Inky_Wretch

One of the links (not narrative I want to believe or create myself), I put up earlier pegs it at just more than $600 per day in lost sales each day the ice cream machine isn't operating. I have no idea how accurate of an estimate that is.

11. The Big Ragu

Not obvious to me. I have never been in a sonic. I don’t think you understood me. It was a question. Your seemed to know sonic.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

One theory that needs to be written is the principle that just about any thread, given enough time, will eventually evolve/devolve into an argument about fast food. Were Daniel Kahneman alive, perhaps he might take a crack at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted