1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football Week Zero Thread: Give Ireland Back to the Irish

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Aug 19, 2024.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

"Sunday Mornin Coming Down" has to be some team's song.

"10,000 Men of Harvard" is a pretty good song.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know if they still do, but for a long time before I went there and a long time after, the Georgia Tech band played the Budweiser theme song ("You've Said It All") at the end of the third quarter of every game, and the student section ALWAYS sang along, loudly and raucously.

SixToe and maumann like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Probably not covered in those links, @dixiehack is the incessant playing of "Hey Jude" by the Arkansas marching band multiple times during football games. Nobody sings along. It doesn't fit the atmosphere of a CFB game. And the band plays it regards of the score. Arkansas is up 10 in the 3Q? Play it! Arkansas is down 30 in the 4Q? Time for The Beatles!

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I feel the same. The players are still fun and interesting to talk with and write about, but the rest

I've been saying for more than a year that it was only a matter of time before a college athletic dept hooked up with the Saudis. I still think it could happen.
    Georgia in recent years has started doing Sweet Caroline. Why? No idea.

6. dixiehack

Yeah, lots of places do the same stuff, so I’m less likely to include those. WVU comes the closest to making it iconic, but they already get Country Roads.

I did credit South Carolina with Sandstorm and Penn State with Seven Nation Army.

More or less I’m trying for ones that invoke this kind of reaction.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's not on that thread, but I believe Michigan (and apparently also KSU) use Mr. Brightside in that fashion (as does Minnesota United FC in MLS).

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

LSU fans' obsession with "Neck" baffles me. It started a few years after I went there, but now there are people ready to go to war for that song. It's to the point people are willing to pay the band's fines for playing it, like IIRC Odell Beckham Jr. once did.
    I guess it's the forbidden fruit aspect of it, but I really don't get it.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How on Earth did "Mr. Brightside" end up being a stadium anthem? It's not exactly the most uplifting song in the world. I don't even think the Killers have any connections to Michigan, where it became a thing. It wouldn't be my first choice to fire me up going into the fourth quarter, that's for sure.

11. dixiehack

I gave Michigan Mr. Brightside even though several schools (include Bama) use it. They seem to be the most identified with it. It just makes a catchy song-along with a nice pace to it. And wouldn’t discount the fact that it is one of the few modern songs with lyrics as clear as a bell, which means virtually everyone knows them.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sweet Caroline sucks, as a song and for a college band to play anytime.

The Darth Vader thing the Auburn band has played for 30 years also sucks. Annoying as hell.

da man likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted