1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

That anyone finds trump the model of masculinity if baffling. I don't get it, but I don't dispute it. In this case, with young men.

They buy into his message of grievance. It's easy to do. It doesn't require a whole lot of effort to say that all of their problems are because the whole world is rigged against them. It's not true, but it makes them feel good about whatever problems they might have.

It's not really a new thing. The complaints are just now packaged in the mantra of an old man who wears orange makeup. It will eventually come in another form.

For however the educational system and job markets have changed, to me it boils down to this: Young men, I assume largely white, are unhappy that they don't get the old system where just by being who they are, they start with a mile-and-a-half lead in the 2-mile race of life. I assume this message is also passed on from their fathers, who might have had it easier than them because they were born male and white.

Basically, they're mad because the playing field is more level than it used to be. More people get a fair shot. Not an advantage, but a chance. Some will learn and be better and work harder to achieve their goals. Others will remain angry for the rest of their lives.

I'm not sure this is a problem than can be solved. And I'm not sure it should be solved. Because solving it means there's less of an equal opportunity for everyone.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Sounds like a bunch of insecure incels who want women they can treat like shit.

Driftwood, Dyno, Dog8Cats and 2 others like this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Trump is permission to be transgressive. I really think that’s 80 percent of it.

5. Deskgrunt50

He has absolutely no new material. Too old and senile to come up with different messaging. Too old a senile to be president.

Though, he did say he'd be great for women's reproductive rights. And his minions are pushing the line that he will bring joy and unity.

So, the only new stuff he has is stolen from Harris. And entirely laughable. It makes me think his internal polling is worse than we know.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Starman

In an earlier time when we had more license to
    point this stuff out publicly, it would have been loudly and repeatedly pointed out that with all his lisping, mincing, floppy, flouncing public persona, all his constant whinging and whimpering about how his opponents are "nasty" and "unfair," the one public figure Fatfuck emulates most uncannily is .:. Liberace.

2muchcoffeeman and I Should Coco like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. Starman

I swear I never saw this before, but ...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-trump-is-like-liberace

Although ... I'm in my middle ... shit! My late ... sixties, and I barely remember who Liberace was. His heyday was in the Fifties and early Sixties, by which time I was a grade school kid. His main claim to fame was as a freak show attraction on the variety shows that mostly faded away by about 1970.

At any rate, that's who Fatfuck's idea of rough tough manly macho masculinity is based upon.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As an idea, I could agree with all of this being consistent - maybe not accurate, IMO, but consistent - except for the bolded line. Because I feel like you're presenting that as the consequence - an angry feeling. Bitter men consumed by their anger in silos.

Except the downside, IMO, is much greater than some Trump voters getting their comeuppance. Angry, feckless, hopeless young men bring a whole shitload of consequences to a society beyond being a-hole Trump voters, and while it's possible that 25% of our country has the money and security to generally avoid the downstream effects of male addiction suicide, homelessness and community violence, a lot of people don't. And people deeply embedded in social services work know that funding is increasingly becoming a bottomless pit. You can't throw enough money at it.

I, too, am not sure the problem can be solved. I just think there's a way to be honest about what happens by not solving it.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

If there's definitely a group that hasn't been catered to enough it's young, white males. It's like a whole gender is suffering from affluenza.

12. Deskgrunt50

Anger and hopelessness brings a shitload of consequences, regardless of what segment of society it is.

My larger point is that young men still have opportunity. They still have the chance to achieve their goals. And many will. Some won't. They just might have to work a little harder for it than they wanted to. Everyone has to work for it. And while the playing field is more level than it used to be, young white men continue to have an advantage over others. That hasn't changed completely. So a lot of it is manufactured anger because anger is a proven way to win people to your cause.

And yes, I do believe a large percentage of young men are bitter and consumed by anger in their silos. But that's not unique to them. Silos and catered news feeds are a huge, huge problem in this country. People only hear what they want to hear. And they get angry when they find the real world isn't what they've been fed. And they willingly eat it up.

That cuts across all political and gender lines.

Slacker and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted