1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

So UConn wants to take football seriously again. Video at 11.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Football is a nothing. Men and women's basketball are good and I think the minor sports are good. But what value is there for anyone? Softball, baseball, soccer are going to travel a thousand miles to play a team with no connection?

The article mentioned the Big 12 wanting to promote basketball. Sure. And UConn has to get an NIL program for its football team. Sure.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

You don't get it because it makes zero sense. If an undergrad in a business strategy class turned that proposal in on a paper he would flunk.

When UConn went to the AAC the men's basketball team suffered and the football team sucked. It was a disaster.

I think if UConn got out of the Big East and started playing Big 12 schools (even as I acknowledge the Big 12 is a really good basketball conference) the UConn brand would suffer, And the football program would continue to suck.

The school should drop football to Division 1-AA and play schools like Villanova. And stop the financial bleeding in the football program.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It’s no coincidence that UConn men’s basketball didn’t start to thrive again until it returned to the Big East.

No one in Connecticut cares about UConn football. Even when they were decent, the stadium was half-filled except for maybe the Fiesta Bowl year.

If they’re going to stay FBS, they should just play a double round robin with UMass, Army, Navy and Bryant (I think they are hoping to move up at some point). Add in a few FCS schools to get to 12. Realize no one will take you seriously and call it a day.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Their problem is that they built a stadium that — I’m guessing— won’t be paid off for years. Cutting that cord would be a lot easier if they were renting. But that was never possible because no venue existed.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

UConn is losing a lot more money on football than the cost of the stadium. I am sure the second semester accounting classes in the UConn business school teach that when operating costs exceed sunk costs it is time to close the business.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
    franticscribe and tapintoamerica like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My first thought was this is a terrible idea for UConn.

My second thought was with the Big East taking such a drastic loss on the NCAA lawsuit settlement, they may have to jump ship in order to make that money back.

My third thought was that the Big 12 won’t allow them to collect a full share for a long, long time. So now I’m back to thinking it’s a terrible idea.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bonds mature no later than 2032, so it's over soon. Might as well eat the rest of that money. The AAA soccer team didn't want to play there, it was too big.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_588z.htm

9. justgladtobehere

A conference based around the New England state schools would be interesting. Easy rivalries. Close travel.

A bunch of reasons it wouldn't work, but I can imagine a world in which college football matters in New England.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Has UConn to the ACC ever been mentioned? Would make a good travel partner with BC and ACC hoops is, if not king, then the crown prince.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes.

And then the ACC presidents laughed and moved on to the next item on the meeting agenda.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

Does UConn have a 'market'? Like Rutgers and Maryland supposedly had?

Draft saved Draft deleted