1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Just a year ago.

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Very "inside baseball" but Bill York worked media relations for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for 50 years, starting in 1958. He was a real help to us stupid NASCAR.com writers who converged on the hallowed grounds every August.

He also helped with the Colts and Pacers. RIP to a real legend.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He used to hand-draw the time cards during Indy 500 qualifying, which was still cool even after everything went digital.

Typist Clerk and maumann like this.
  4. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Bill York is one of the best dudes I've encountered behind the scenes. He was a fixture at IMS and for the Indiana Pacers and Indianapolis Colts. Helped me a lot when I was young and stupid. A very much deserved RIP.

maumann likes this.
  5. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

Bill York was a mensch with a slightly gruff exterior and a soft heart. R.I.P.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Prayer before the Cup race tonight was awesome.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't want to stereotype, but what is it with Latin American drivers turning their cars into fireballs at Daytona? First, Juan Pablo Montoya hits the jet dryer and now Daniel Suarez decides he wants to be Ghost Rider.
    This was a weird one. Looked like Montoya's pit crew spilled some fuel behind the car during a stop. Denny Hamlin was trying to pull out behind, stopped because he was too close to Suarez, and that little bit of flame that shoots out when they backfire lit the fuel on the ground. It trailed right up into Suarez's trunk area as he was pulling out of the pit stall, and next thing we know it's one of the strangest DNFs of the season.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2024
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I wasn't kidding.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Another good reason I really don't miss NASCAR. Fans ripping Leigh Diffey -- not because he's over-the-top -- but because he "sounds different." Folks, he became an American citizen, and probably knows more about American history by passing the citizenship test than all but about 40 people in the Daytona grandstands. I'm actually surprised some of the people actually paid attention through their four years of third grade to make complete sentences.

Let's go, Braindead.

MileHigh, Driftwood, Huggy and 3 others like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holy mother of God.
    Then he just had to hang there upside down for three or four minutes while they flipped the car back upright. Thankfully, he's out of the car.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Just tuned in for my late local news. Who the hell are these guys?

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

OK, one of them is Jeff Burton’s son.

Draft saved Draft deleted