1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reading about the insecure white males reminds me of that great scene in “42” when Leo Durocher has a late-night meeting in the hotel kitchen with the white Dodgers, tells them to shove their petition where the sun doesn’t shine, reminds them that Jackie Robinson is only going to be the first black major leaguer, that there will be many more blacks coming to the majors and the Dodgers better get used to it or they’ll get run over in the process.

Yes, I get that financial times are more difficult for the youth of today. But the grievances and whining of the white, heterosexual, Christian man is just tiresome because they’re now having to sit with people who are different than them who are demanding and equal seat at the table that is American society. And as society becomes more diverse, they better learn to adjust, or, like the white racist ball players of the 1940s, they might find themselves falling even further behind.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

My favorite is when Christians complain about things like the Olympics opening ceremony and say they are being “persecuted.”

Um, the early Christians who were hunted down, tortured and beheaded would like to have a word with these modern-day whiners about what “persecution” really means.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I've got a neighbor down the street, he's about 75 now, retired pastor, wife ain't a Karen but woo-hoo she goes by Babs.

Former pastor seems to have a lot of money, got one daughter living there with them and one grandson who looks about 8 these days. Can't tell if the boy's mom is the pastor's daughter living there, or the other daughter ... the one who hanged herself awhile back, from what I've learned from outside sources.

Anyway, the boy is a load, very energetic and high-strung and probably ADHD, along with the other family issues, and maybe even more going on inside his head – and I'm fine with that. They've got him in a nice, safe, happy home, and that's the way it should be here on my block, and in this community. But he's probably got some special needs ahead of him, and the grandparents seem exhausted just watching him run loose on the street sometimes, so I'll bet they'll be happy to just unload him on schools or in other places that can maybe help him grow and develop properly on the taxpayers' dimes.

My point, then, is this: I drove by pastor's house today, home of the folks who probably will need government help and expert developmental coaching programs at some point to help their socially stunted, innocent-but-haunted, special-needs grandson turn out right ... and yet a new sign posted outside pastor's house said this:

TRUMP 2024 / TAKE AMERICA BACK AGAIN.

These "righteous," self-professed "religious" servants of Jesus just piss me the fuck off.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The NY Times story I linked featured a diverse group of young men whose religion was not mentioned. (or sexual orientation, I think)

So why are you comparing this moment to 1942, and more to the point, making it about Christians? Are other religions, in your experience, less toxically masculine?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed. It was, at the very most, the tiniest little microaggression, if that. Christians gotta learn to shrug and move on.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. Slacker

Love Rockpile, too, and all versions of Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds.

My favorite Rockpile song, by far, although 10 others tied for a distant second ...

garrow and Fred siegle like this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hey, do you remember Rick Astley?

garrow, Fred siegle and PCLoadLetter like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

These are the people who claimed all public school teachers were pedophiles one minute but couldn’t wait to have public schools open amid COVID.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If I had to pick just one Rockpile song, I think it would be this gem. Dave Edmunds mining Chuck Berry.

garrow, Fred siegle and PCLoadLetter like this.
  11. Slacker

Brilliant post. This is the stuff that dogs me, too.
    Thank you for nailing it down in one damn good shot.

OscarMadison and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I used white, heterosexual, Christian males because in terms of race, gender, sexuality and religion, those groups have historically been the power elite in the U.S. Republicans have historically and even more so currently linked themselves to the Christian Nationalist movement. So let’s not be naive here about who Trump is attracting.

In your Times article, one of the young men acknowledges that women have historically been treated poorly by the male power elite, but is actually quoted as saying women “deserve a little bit more.”

A little bit? How fucking generous of him. How about full equality?

Draft saved Draft deleted