1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The survivors. Two big wrecks, a couple of fires, and this is what's left at Daytona.
    That was fun to watch the reactions from Burton and his mom and wife/girlfriend, though.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Harrison Burton. Trevor Bayne. Tiny Lund. The Wood Brothers have had some longshots come through at Daytona over the years.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Nice moment for the Burtons (and Harrison’s lady friend, if you know what I mean). Kinda wish Jeff hadn’t turned into Ward in the last lap and aftermath, but I can’t say I blame the guy.

maumann likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That name definitely crossed my mind.

The Wood Brothers: When You Need Somebody To Win Your Fucked-Up Superspeedway Race.

dixiehack, maumann and Batman like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Harrison Burton seems like a decent kid, but someone 32nd or whatever in points shouldn’t be in the playoffs. At least he didn’t blatantly punt two drivers in the final 100 yards to get the win.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

He knew there was a very good chance of hitting something hard but I have no idea whether he could tell where he was during that time. Thankfully it went in nose first, where the front clips will absorb a lot of the force.

Batman likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, that's gonna be awkward.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This post made me realize I’ve been mixing up who Leigh Diffey is. I thought that was the name of the wannabe hipster doofus with the untucked flannel that always came up with cringey segments on Indy Car races.

A bit of furious Googling later, I now know that guy’s name is Rutledge Wood. So sorry about the nasty karma I sent your way Mr. Diffey.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Has NASCAR ever run the Daytona road course? Will they ever?

11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Good for Burton, and good for the Wood Brothers.
    I am still completely confused with the Firecracker 400 being run in late August.

2muchcoffeeman, maumann and SixToe like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, in 2020 and 2021. IIRC, it was one of those things everybody wanted until they got it, and then they realized it wasn't all that great.

maumann and Regan MacNeil like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted