1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This week's bizarre high school football score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 4, 2018.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hate to see a game decided like that, but, the right call.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of our local eight-man teams has scored 50 and 56 points in its first two games, has a kid with almost 800 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns already, and is 0-2.
    Last week they had a running clock put on them for almost the entire second half. This week they blew a 20-point lead and lost after giving up a touchdown and two-point conversion with two minutes left.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How bad are you getting smashed that you have a running clock in a game you crack 50?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The final score was 74-50.
    It was 60-28 at halftime, and the winning team scored on the first play of the third quarter to trigger the running clock. They scored on seven of their first eight offensive snaps. The locals didn't get stopped much, either. They had a few turnovers and gave up two defensive touchdowns in the first half, otherwise it might have been 74-72 when it was all said and done.

Our locals aren't terrible. They made the state semifinals last season. The team they were playing is just ridiculously overpowered for this league. They've gone out and recruited a bit (this is a private school league where that's allowed as long as you loot the public schools). They have an SEC-committed offensive lineman and a couple of other potential DI players, yet are playing in the smallest eight-man division. They'll probably win the state title this year, or if they don't it'll be a massive upset. This past week they played an 11-man team and crushed them, too.
    It could've been worse, though. Stud Team was originally scheduled to play a first-year home school team this week. The home school wisely canceled it after they got a few guys sick and banged up in their first game. That score might have made Cumberland-Georgia Tech look close.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Too damned early for real HS football.

The last Friday in August is barely reasonable, but the season has to end before Christmas.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We end the first Saturday in December. Had my first game on Friday between a Catholic school and a Lutheran school from SoCal. There should be lots of confessions going on with all the crap that was going on on the field.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Started this week here everywhere but the Central Coast Section, which starts this week. Regional bowls Dec. 6-7, state finals Dec. 12-13.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Crean Lutheran is a few blocks from where I live in Irvine. Opened in 2010 right on the NE border of the city, below the mountains that separate OC from IE cities Temecula and Lake Elsinore. They've built some awesome facilities. They are very competitive in all sports; really strong aquatics.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I love this sport so very, very much. And there are some days I hate myself for that.

I won’t quote the whole thing here, but this is a devastating read via Facebook from the backup to the kid who died last week. He has had to compress a lifetime of growing up into just a few days time.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports...ammate-god-sent-us-an-angel-for-16-years.html

Big Circus and maumann like this.
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted