1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Doctors don't know shit. Can I talk to the nurses?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised I haven't heard a theory that Beyonce demanded a Palestinian speaker if she was going to perform - and it wa

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My wife is a physician. The times she still gets called a nurse or even less when she is wearing scrubs or at a medical facility or whatever is pretty amazing. Not that there is anything wrong with nurses, just the assumption.

One time a coach of one of my kids asked her if she was a nurse at a game. He is a science professor at the university and was mortified and later told he does tons to promote women in science and couldn't believe he did that. Another memorable one was the kids and I were taking her dinner at the hospital when she was on call and couldn't get out. A woman in the elevator (you'd be amazed how many times it is a woman) told my kids, you're bringing your mom dinner. That is great, she's a nurse, she helps people. My oldest, who was maybe 8 or 9 at the time, practically yelled at her, she's a doctor! The woman didn't really have a response.

So perceptions are very difficult to change.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

My wife is a doctor, just not a medical one. She earned her title just as much as any physician.
    Same as Jill Biden.

TowelWaver and Baron Scicluna like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I had a female dentist for a while until I moved. Her husband was an assistant football coach at the juco that was my beat and her kids played at a high school I covered occasionally. I told her, "If I can talk football with the boys, I can let you work on my teeth."

Currently my PCP and my retinal doctor are female.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

School-supplied Chromebooks with proper restrictions are a wonderful educational tool.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I missed it. Why are people against Chromebooks in schools?

8. part-timer

part-timer Active Member

You'd be amazed at how the kids get around blocks on school servers. And I say this as an elementary level teacher.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just back from an overnight canoe trip - almost 30 miles. It was all very manly. All we needed was a drum to bang on. But the one thing I found odd - kind of endearing in a way I guess - was all the other guys were on their phones keeping their wives updated. We're on island in the middle of the Willamette, drinking copious amounts of alcohol. saying all kinds of shit, - but yeah. The phones. All I lost was my Wordle 90 plus day streak.

dixiehack, HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think the US did some pretty damn innovative work before WWII.

But, point taken. Bad America. Time for a reset?

12. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Heck, I went fishing this morning, and for about four hours, it never even occurred to me that phones even exist.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted