1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2024 running motorsports thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2024.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Always wonder how awkward things are between teams and drivers who know they've already lost their seat for the following year. Guess Burton will wind up somewhere next year now.

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I can't decide if it's the windshield or because it's level, but the cockpit of an IndyCar is a whole lot more aesthetically pleasing than that stupid halo on F1 rides.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if F1 eventually moves from the halo to the IndyCar-style aeroscreen. F1 deserves credit for adding it first, but the aeroscreen Indy uses provides better driver protection and they're about to rollout version 2.0, which should help a lot of the handling issues that drivers complained about when the first generation was added to the chassis.

Part of me misses the open cockpits, but there have been so many wrecks in the last few years with the driver walking away unscathed due to the aeroscreens and/or halos that I'm sold.

playthrough, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  4. Driftwood

I'm certainly not sold. I obviously don't want to see anyone hurt, but part of the sport is the danger and the guys who step up to it. I'm not a rodeo guy, and I'm not getting on a bull, but the whole hockey helmet thing instead of a cowboy hat is lame.
    I don't much care for the canopy on Top Fuel cars or 1,000-foot racing.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Totally with you on the danger but I think IndyCar and nitro dragsters are still daredevil stuff with plenty that can go fatally wrong, it just hasn't for a while.

misterbc and franticscribe like this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I am a rodeo guy (although I prefer roping to roughstock), and the hockey helmet thing makes perfect sense -- as does the ballistic vest.

7. Driftwood

I didn't say it doesn't make sense. I just think it looks silly. If you are going to be a cowboy, be a cowboy. I'm all for the vests. One might have saved Lane Frost.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If we're back to airborne NASCAR crashes, I struggle to understand what the last 20 years of safety R & D have been about.

Especially at the superspeedways.

If you seal and streamline the underside of a racecar it becomes a wing.

This has been known for many years.

CLRflip2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    maumann likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Could Norris actually rid us of Mad Max???

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

If you think concussions are an issue in professional football, I urge you to take a look at concussions in roughstock events. It's much worse, mainly because other than the Justin Sports Medical Team, a lot of those guys don't have and can't afford medical coverage.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

March: "Skip Barber Racing is buying SRX from Tony Stewart and everything is gonna be great!"

August: Everything is significantly other than great.

12. Driftwood

I'm sure Tuff Hedeman would have loved to had a helmet and cage when he got his face shattered. I'm really not arguing for anyone to get hurt or less safety.
    It just strikes me as funny to think of the icons of the American cowboy: Stetson, Charlie One Horse, CCM.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted