1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Elon Musk takes over Twitter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Remind me again which body of the US government the Biden campaign was running when the Hunter Biden laptop thing supposedly occurred? Maybe you missed when I asked earlier?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

"Might have" and "Might not have" mean the same thing.

Wait. What? Where did the Supreme Court say, "the laptop is real"????

Again - and I'd love for you to say, "yeah I understand that" - because it's a key point.

The laptop the FBI has is real. 100 percent. Agreed. Got it. Check mark.

The copies of the laptop you've seen floating around the internet are almost certainly edited. They are 100000 percent not verified. At the very least: Their chain of custody makes them inadmissible in court. There has been no court case where the actual contents of the laptop were admitted as evidence; just that, "the laptop exists."

Can you point to the court case where the contents of the "laptop" as purported by anyone on the internet have been verified?

It's your side track. You said, "there are lots of examples of things that were censored that turned out to be true." The Hunter Biden laptop seems to be the only one you can cite ....

Again: You're a journalist. If you publish a story, and someone from the government related to the story tells you, "the things you are saying are not true," and you correct or retract the story, has that person censored you? Did they pressure you? Would you ever retract content you put on line - after learning it's not true - because you don't want to be associated with untrue things?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Earth being flat, the faked moon landing, Elvis faking his death, Bat Boy ...

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

JFC, dude, I'm not writing a 300-page footnote-laden thesis to win a message board argument. I follow the news. This stuff has been in the news for several years. There have been so many cases and hearings on the topic that they all blur together, and I don't have the time nor the energy to spend an entire afternoon finding and citing court documents no one here is going to read anyway. If that makes me stupid or lazy, then you win. Huzzah.

In that example, who from the government is telling me that? How are they telling me? Are they being friendly, or trying to "strongly suggest" that the things I've printed are not true?
    And does it later become apparent — or enough evidence emerges to suspect — that they were lying to me about it not being true?

5. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I could see how one could blur everything so badly they'd think Biden was in charge during the 2020 election.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I keep getting told Trump has been in charge since then, so it's easy to see how it could happen.

7. Justin_Rice

Remember just a few weeks ago? "The Biden administration is ignoring what the Supreme Court said about student loans!" You slinked away from that conversation. I'm betting you're also on the, "The Biden administration is stopping us from drilling our own oil!" train, too.

You make very little effort to more deeply consider the "news" you're fed. ... and then you come here and tell us about "lots" of things which were censored by social media which turned out to be true. Turns out you can barely cite one of those things, and your understanding of the topic doesn't seem to go any deeper than what "influencers" feed you.

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This newly minted Musk / Taibbi / edgelord free speech absolutism is certainly . . . something.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I "slink away" when people start the "cite examples" thing, which comes across as a third-grade teacher assigning homework that we all know won't be read, or will be summarily dismissed regardless of how much effort I put into it. For example, did you read any of the briefs in the Supreme Court link I posted?
    Believe it or not, I don't have files and links I can pull out on a second's notice.
    Sometimes, like the student loan thing you mentioned, I do have an intention of looking something up, but it's several hours before I can get to it. By then the conversation has moved on or gone stale and I don't feel like spending several more hours rekindling it. Or I've just forgotten about it. There are still more important things in the world than shouting into the wind at this place.

10. Justin_Rice

Sure did. There was literally one example of, "Facebook censored it but it turned out to be true!" contained. It wasn't your best work. ... but since you said there were "lots" of examples of this happening, I figured you'd be able to cite a few. I figured wrong.

www.google.com

That's true. Best to just embrace your ignorance and hope no one else notices.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My kids' schools have banned cell phones. That's a good start. How well it's working I have no idea.

FileNotFound and dixiehack like this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good reminder. Nobody needs to tap dance for that guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted